Pure Gonzo Engineering

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Weight

The question everyone has with you when you’ve just had a baby is “So, how is the baby doing?”

They don’t really want to know. It’s just chit-chat. When I tell them he’s lost weight and isn’t eating enough they get that pained look on their face like “Oh shit I don’t want to hear this.”

People just want to hear that he’s doing good.

Apparently Oz was just a good faker when it came to breastfeeding. He seemed like a natural right off the bat. Turns out babies who are like 35, 36, 37 weeks (like Oz), kind of know what they are doing sucking when the milk is first there and easy to get, but once it takes more effort to suck and get, they aren’t so good. So he was 7,6 when he was born then got to 7,9, but then dropped down to 6,15 yesterday. That’s 10% of his weight, and that’s about the max you want them to lose. He was getting cranky and his eyes were getting a bit dark, and wasn’t peeing as much. There isn’t much a real nice way to put it other than he was starving.

So now we’re giving him breastmilk via a small syringe with a tip that will fit in his mouth while he’s breastfeeding. This way we can make sure he’s getting enough and he’ll get back to his fighting weight. Eventually he’ll get the hang of sucking harder to get milk, he just needs to get bigger.

I played hockey for the last time for 6 weeks on Sunday. The rink is shutting down for maintenance. It solidified in my mind that I need to play in B-league. There were some Bradley club guys there and some other A-League players and I was able to hold my own. I even had a goal. Not a real impressive one, but a goal none the less. Now I just need to scam my way onto an established team so I don’t have to play on one of the crap B-league teams. In the meantime I think I’m going to pull out my hockey rollerblades and rollerblade around the rich neighborhood across Sheridan, “The Knolls”. I live on the poor side of the street. I’ll go shirtless and scare all the old people and rich 30-Somethings who send their spawn to private schools with my naked women tattoos.

I’m having these vivid dreams ever since Oz was born. It must be because I’m not falling into really deep sleep to the point where I don’t remember them like usual. Very random content, that I should write down since they’re gone by the time I shower in the morning.

Now for the music:




And this hilarity: Bill O'Reilly is such a dick.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • Nice recovery there Bill...

    Elijah didn't eat for like three days then he started going... we suckered him with formula then moved back to the teet.

    By Blogger Steve, at 3:44 PM, May 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home