Pure Gonzo Engineering

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Not Always a Linear Response

I learned some interesting things last night.

Both made things far more clear than they previously were. Then I slept on them and things became even clearer.

The one I’ll share is in regard to experience and performance. I read an article in Time about the subject. It was being brought up because of the presidential race. McCain’s huge amount of experience, Hillary’s made up experience, and Obama’s lack of experience (even though it’s on par with Lincoln, one of the best president’s ever).

This article was a general discussion of experience, what makes and expert, and does experience and expertise make for better performance.

The general rule is that it takes you ten years in a field to become an “expert” in that field. However, once you’ve become an expert, you need to continually challenge yourself in your field, or you’ll become stagnant and people with less experience will tend to perform as well or better than you. When presented with a problem that stretches the skill set and knowledge of a person in a field, they are generally on a level playing field regardless of experience level.

People who far outperform others in their field tend to always challenge themselves. They put themselves in uncomfortable situations rather than doing or practicing the things they are good at. They become frustrated, but get through it with a larger skill set.

This made me think of my adult hockey league carrier. I’ve been playing for about 4 years now. I’m no expert, but if I ever want to get better I can’t stay in C-League. It’s just stifling me. I need to be one of the worst players in B-League for a while to learn. I need to be uncomfortable for a while.

OK, I didn't like Panic! at the Disco, but I kind of dig this new song. I have a soft spot for poppy emo music. Must be because they dropped the !

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

  • I love how expertise applies in this instance but not, say, when Creationists want to infect public schools with their pseudo-science.

    By Blogger E, at 11:09 AM, April 08, 2008  

  • http://www.nerve.com/dispatches/nerveeditors/50greatestcomedysketches/01/


    Follow the link, it'll take you back to late nights watching hilarious shows..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:06 PM, April 09, 2008  

  • Um... sure... entomologista... Science has figured out exactly how life came to be so they can go ahead and shut down freedom of thought and disguise it as an application of the scientific method...

    By Blogger Steve, at 3:53 AM, April 10, 2008  

  • The hypothesis of abiogenesis and the theory of evolution are two separate things. The theory of evolution simply states that allele frequencies in populations change over time, which is totally uncontroversial. We witness it all the time as insects evolve resistance to pesticides or develop new host utilization in response to crop rotation. The hypothesis of abiogenesis, which posits that life came from non-life, will likely remain a hypothesis until we can explore other planets.

    In any case, some simple critical thinking skills go a long way. One must also realize that if it turns out the hypothesis of abiogenesis is wrong, then it does not follow that Genesis is correct. And if you posit a deity as the cause, you simply remove the question one step - you must then ask what caused the deity. And so you've answered nothing and just wasted everybody's time. Also try to keep in mind that just because you don't understand it doesn't mean that nobody does or that it is impossible. There is a reason people get Ph.Ds in the biological sciences.

    By Blogger E, at 3:28 PM, April 10, 2008  

  • Research money would be number one...

    Nice cut and paste there...

    By Blogger Steve, at 9:01 PM, April 10, 2008  

  • I see. Lacking any sort of rational response, you instead accuse me of plagiarism. Nice.

    By Blogger E, at 11:02 AM, April 11, 2008  

  • My response was initial comment was pretty rational... so why say anything else? Keep your options open... It's all I am saying!

    By Blogger Steve, at 4:27 PM, April 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home