Pure Gonzo Engineering

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Two Post Tuesday: What Would I Do With Another $5000

I had to borrow a table saw from a friend from work to finish my kitchen. It was a nice table saw. It probably retails for $500-$600. When I brought it back I went down to look at his laundry room that I helped him put the plumbing in. The cabinets he put in his laundry room were the same cheap stock cabinets I put in my nice new kitchen. It looked like he spent as much on cabinets in his laungry room as I did in my kitchen. I felt so poor.

He’s a couple years older than me and his wife is a nurse, and they don’t have kids. I was thinking to myself what I would do with another professionals salary, another $4500-$5000 a month. I manage to get by paying off a substantial amount of debt and still having a little money left over every month.

These people must be swimming in money.

I guess I’d have a nicer house, that would take another $600-$1200 a month away. I heard a dude I work with talk about buying a new house. 300K was a bit above what he wanted to spend. 300K? Holy shit! My house cost $104,500. Two professionals though, no kids.

I suppose I’d have more expensive cars rather than two Hyundai’s. That’s be another $500-$600 a month in higher payments, gasoline costs, and insurance costs.

I’d buy NEW tools, not factory reconditioned ones for 60-80% off, I’d buy a Playstation 3, a big TV, die cast tractor models. I’d end up buying more things. Maybe I’d have some sort of big savings account in case something catastrophic happened.

I’d shop at a real grocery store instead of Walmart, buy good meat from a meat market and produce from a fresh market.

I’d have to pay something like $500-$600 a month to have Carter in daycare so he could get all kinds of new and interesting viruses to give me.

I get by though, I’m pretty content with the things I have. Plus I have Carter for entertainment and excitement, and one more on the way.

And in the immortal words of Tyler Durden “The things you own, they end up owning you.”

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • You beat me to the Tyler Durden thing...

    But I think of Patrick Ewing when he was with the Knicks. I think he said to Congress, "We make a lot of money in the NBA, but we spend a lot of money too"

    At the end of the day I probably have just as much disposable income as the next guy... after funding California priced house and my car addiction. I keep saying the more money we make the more we should be saving and we do but it seems I still would settle for second best on something.

    I do most of my home improvement stuff from IKEA. I remember my guy I hired for my bathroom tile, he wanted 1500 for the vanity set for the bathroom. I was like dude, a faucet, sink and cabinet is like 150 tops at IKEA and it looks hella nice. The mirror was $20 and the light at Home Depot was 60. Where was I going wrong there?

    I did the same thing at the bathroom downstairs except I spent big dollars on the light fixture because I had to cover a huge hole in the wall. I think it was like $400 for the fixture but it is pretty custom and the way it was built covered the hole so I did not have to texturize the wall and paint. I did the tile myself and it looks like it!! :)

    If you ever do a laminate floor system, check out IKEA's hardwood laminate. 99 cents a square foot. Shit blows Pergo out of the water on quality and ease of use. The metric system is a little weird but that is what a miter saw is for.

    By Blogger Steve, at 9:21 PM, April 01, 2008  

  • We don't have IKEA here.

    "Where are you going with this IKEA boy?" -TD in FC

    By Blogger lawryde, at 10:43 AM, April 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home