Pure Gonzo Engineering

Friday, May 23, 2008

It’s a Special Day in Peoria

Gas has broken the $4.00 per gallon barrier!!! At the bottom of the hill of the sandbox it’s $4.08 per gallon. How does that play in Peoria? I don’t know… That’s kind of a stupid saying anyway. My vehicles get about 21 and 29 mpg in the city. Each month I spend roughly $150 on gasoline when it was around $3.75. I use a Chase Marathon oil card and get 5% back in gas cards. So I’m really only paying $3.88 a gallon. The best thing I ever did though was sell my 14 mpg Silverado a few years ago.

This is really going to start screwing shit up in the economy. All those hard working blue-collar dudes with full size trucks are going to have to start shelling out $100 each time they fill up. These are the same dudes that don’t like living in the city and have to travel 20 miles one way to get groceries and go to work. Stupid. I have relatively fuel-efficient vehicles, and I live right in the middle of Peoria. I drive 14 miles round trip to work.

So the first internal combustion engine was designed in 1806, and from 1806 to around 1998 the cost of gas went up to .96 per gallon (in Wisconsin Rapids, the lowest I’ve ever paid.) in 192 years. In the next ten years it’s gone up $3.12. I don’t really have a point, it’s just interesting, and I’m sure if you adjust for inflation it’s been really expensive at other times.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • $4.33 a gallon to fill each Porsche. It costs $100 to fill the Cayenne and it gets 16 mpg.

    In a lot of stations, the pumps shut off at $75 so you can't always fill up. Credit card fees are killing C-Store operators so that is why the pump shuts off at $75. It's like 5%. So $3.75 of that $75 goes to Visa/Mastercard. Most stations are working on 10 cents tops per gallon. Pay with a card and buy a lot? The margin is gone! So where do they make the money? The C-store!! Average margin is 30%

    By Blogger Steve, at 3:36 PM, May 23, 2008  

  • He is right about the credit card fees. If you pay at the pump it can be up to 5% charged. If you have them swipe your card inside it's a little cheaper, but I guess it's even better for them if you swipe it your self. So when they make you slide the card, they're trying to cut costs.

    However, two of our clients here in Madisn have sold significantly less galllons compared to last year, but their margins haven't changed much. One in particular has sold 10,000 less gallons in April but his gross margin was still at the same percentage. It seems that the price increase has just helped them stay the same and still sell less.

    Another client is actually doing better than last year. But that could be because they sell diesel to farmers out in bum fuck nowhere.

    And I love my civic. I get around 37-45 mpg :) and I can zip through traffic so easily.

    By Blogger B.B., at 6:17 AM, May 24, 2008  

  • Actually BB... what I was saying that no matter where you swipe at a gas station, the cost to charge fuel is high for the station operator than say if you made an equivalent purchase at a retail store. It's a different set up for Visa/Mastercard. Some bargain for convenience.

    By Blogger Steve, at 8:51 PM, May 24, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home