Pure Gonzo Engineering

Friday, May 16, 2008

I feel kind of dirty

I was in one of those online mudslinging debates with a bunch of angry feminists.

I preface this by saying my wife would identify herself as a feminist. She’s made a choice that I think these angry feminists would abhor. She’s decided to get married, have children, and stay at home with them while they are young. (The horror!) My boss at work is an intelligent, strong woman who has the respect of her piers. The validation engineer, whom I go to for advice on testing is also a woman engineer, also intelligent and well respected. When I come to her seeking advice she takes the time to have a thoughtful discussion with me, free of personal attacks and thinking every word that comes out of my mouth is an attempt to show my male dominance over her.

I share in the housework; regardless of what it’s gender roll is considered. I also take an active role in raising our children. I cook dinner every night because I like to.

It turns out I’m a closet sexist.

Why?

I made the assertion that based on observing my son, and many other young children at our Attachment Parenting functions that very young children have a hard-wired propensity to play with gender specific toys.

Carter likes trucks and cars. He doesn’t like baby dolls.

I was met with rude personal attacks on my intelligence level and claims of being an “armchair scientist” and a sexist.

I never said that girls and boys CAN’T or SHOULDN’T or WON’T EVER play with opposing genders toys. I simply said they tend to gravitate to those toys and a certain type of play.

I was initially wrong in thinking that it was due to instincts from when we were uncivilized monkey men living to survive. It turns out that it’s actually hormonal, and studies were done that supported this, although I found them in an undergrad text (how yucky and common).

They disregarded these decade old studies and sited a study not specifically looking at children’s play and propensity to toy choosing, simply on hormones creating both boy and girl behavior in both sexes. I’m sure that study is true. It still doesn’t address my point. Carter wanted to dress and carry around a doll for about 2 days after Oz was born, but he was right back to the trucks and cars after he lost interest in the baby. I guess the rampant sexism in Sesame Street has thwarted our parenting attempts to let him play with any toys he wants.

I was then told that raising kids gives you no special knowledge.

The responsibility for another human being’s life doesn’t teach you anything, or give you any special insight into the human condition.

So I thought maybe I was crazy and I spoke to my validation engineer who has 3 kids, 2 boys and a girl. She was a successful woman. Did she see the same things as sexist Lawryde?

I asked her about it cold, without prefacing her to my debate. She agreed that her boys gravitate to boy toys and a rough type of play. I asked her if she thought it was a social thing or if it was just the way they were.

She thought it was just the way they were. I said, well are you sure that television and your parents and how you treat them doesn’t affect it. She said it would have some affect, WHICH I AGREE WITH. I talked to her about those first moments when they were just starting to choose what they like (around 1.5 years and 2) and asked her if they just kind of gravitated towards gender specific toys. She agreed and agreed that social factors would be almost non-existent at that point. We have different parenting styles so now I have a sample size of two with the same results and 10-year-old research that backs me up.

I then told her about my debate with these immature (still in school or just starting their real adult lives, no kids of their own, not responsible for anyone but themselves, but experts on child development, can’t see the forest for the trees, full of advanced degrees and debt from going to school but no idea how practical things work, knowing everything about me and my typical feminist thoughts, enlarge clitoris’ and labia that look like balls due to high androgen hormone levels during gestation, not understanding respect is something that is earned not implied, mad that I was, by all standard measures, smarter than all of them in high school and now make more money than they do and I’m happy with my loving beautiful family, should be wondering if maybe it’s not that I’m facing sexism on a daily basis, but that really I’m just a big fucking jerk and a terrible excuse for a human being.) (Was that just immature of me? Fuck it. This is my corner of the internet.) girls I knew from high school who were convinced that only social factors affect toy choice in children. She said that before she had kids she had some of the same thoughts, but after having both boys and girls she sees things differently.

The angry feminist will be talking about me now, because that’s what women do. Emails and text messages and phone calls. “Oh, my God. Look what Lawryde wrote. What a sexist asshole!” “He’s so predictable and stupid and his children are going to grow up objectifying women and raping goats.” “We’re so right, and so awesome and so much smarter and better than him.” “Yay, Us!”

I’m sad, it also looks like I lost a facebook friend. (Tear)

I feel clean now.

Full Text of Debate

And I think the modern philosopher Kanye West put it best:

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • I know it may be hard to believe, but I agree with everything you said!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:32 PM, May 16, 2008  

  • I’m a fascist dictator at heart so I’ll respond to portions of the comments I’ve rejected:

    Lauren-

    Funny thing, claiming to not be sexist but then directing insults at women in general instead of merely the specific individuals involved.

    All insults were directed at the girls I went to high school with. Please read more carefully.

    Rakhi-

    Actually, correction: I quite easily make more than double what you do.

    How long have you been a lawyer? Two years at the most isn’t it? I’ve been working for almost five years at one most profitable American manufacturing companies. We’re posting record profits during a recession. So unless you grossed over $166K last year (that would be double) you’re dreaming. Maybe you’re making as much as I am, and eventually you will surpass me, but you certainly aren’t making double.

    …for you to believe you were smarter than all of us 10 years ago…

    Based on everything they used to measure intelligence at the time I was. Period. (Facts and data remember, facts and data)

    We could also use another for you and I if you like. What was your GPA after graduating UW-Madison with you BSME? Mine was 3.41.

    By Blogger lawryde, at 2:20 PM, May 16, 2008  

  • You know what say...

    "Fuck those bitches..."

    And I'd shut my laptop and go on about my day...

    By Blogger Steve, at 6:53 PM, May 16, 2008  

  • Right/Wrong, your the guy with the gun.


    Either way, I like you have children, 2 of em' in fact -- 2 girls -- one of which is going on 3, and has very little interest in trucks, wrestling, etc....and not because I haven't tried either.


    Oh well ............... and the money thing, yay money, but it doesn't equal happiness one bit.

    I make a meager income, but I like my job and I can look at myself everyday....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:01 PM, May 16, 2008  

  • Lauren-

    One more thing.. 3.41? That's supposed to be a difficult to surpass G.P.A.? ROFL. Want to compare ACT scores and the like as well, since that's standardized?

    Well considering that's from one of the top 20 engineering schools in the country that's not bad. It's no MIT, but UW-Madison is highly respected and not an easy curriculum. So .09 away from an AB average is pretty fucking good. I think my ACT was a 31 or a 32. I don't have those on hand though. People who don't do well on standardized tests and didn't do well in high school like to argue that those aren't good measures of intelligence. What are then?

    Should we go back to Rakhi thinking that a Junior Patent Attorney makes twice as much as a Mechanical Engineer with 5 years experience in a big company. That shows a complete lack of common sense. Should we ask her how much a good interest rate on a house is and she'll come back with 20%. Or at what age should a child be able to determine right and wrong and she'll come back with one year olds?

    By Blogger lawryde, at 8:54 AM, May 17, 2008  

  • Dude... I am missing out on what you are not letting through. Makes me pensive... And I don't know these people... :)

    By Blogger Steve, at 12:11 AM, May 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home