Pure Gonzo Engineering

Friday, April 27, 2007

Team Lawryde

I’ve had a few tussles with United Healthcare (They process all of Opposite of Dog’s insurance and flexible spending claims) over coverage and payment of health services.

The most in depth of these being their refusal to pay for a second x-ray of my son’s leg when he broke it a while back.

I ended up beating the assholes after 13 months of battling them over $67.50. The resources and man-hours consumed to pay a $67.50 claim, just because they thought the x-ray people or myself were trying to screw them, is astronomical. It’s got to be in the tens of thousands of dollars.

That, my friends, is what is wrong with the healthcare system in the United States. There are levels upon levels of bureaucracy where everyone is making a buck shuffling papers around.

So I had another issue of them not paying a flexible spending account claim on something they should have.

I give them a call and go through all the bullshit menus of dialing 1, entering my subscriber number, dialing 3, entering my date of birth, dialing zero, and then I get to actually talk to someone.

He again verifies the information I just dialed into the fucking system, and then says, “Oh, it looks like there is a team assigned to your account. I’ll need to get them on the line before we talk about anything.”

I couldn’t help but laugh out loud at him. “Alright,” I say.

I was on hold for like 10 minutes, but I guess Team Lawryde was out on a coffee brake so this dude had to help me. We got the shit straightened out, it was their fucking error, again.

I would be happy as a clam, to simply pay extra money in taxes and never, ever, have to look at bills, or statements of benefits, or be on the phone disputing mishandled claims.

Gladly.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • They fucking suck, but it's a good system for them since most people are assholes who would just pay that shit.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:15 PM, April 27, 2007  

  • There is a great deal of overhead and non real jobs in the insurance industry.Not sure if you could pay enough taxes to cover the astronomical cost of health care today, however.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:11 PM, April 27, 2007  

  • I know a guy who is a systems analyst for a health care firm. ie: He creates bureaucracy!!!

    Imagine if the government had control!! Just look at the tax code and imagine if you had to fill something like that out if you had a cold!!!

    By Blogger Steve, at 5:28 PM, April 27, 2007  

  • Did you ever stop to calculate the value of your time in getting them to pay you $67.50. That too has to be a lot more than $67.50. CT

    By Blogger Chris, at 5:30 PM, April 27, 2007  

  • Health care wouldn't be so frickin' expensive if it wasn't privatized. There would be more generic medicines, doctor's couldn't charge so damn much, and poor people would be able to go to the doctor for preventative health care so that they find out they've got cancer BEFORE they've only got two months to live.

    I'd love to pay higher taxes for that. Because as of August, when my student insurance runs out, I will be paying just over $100/month for NOTHING. The insurance plann will have a $1,000 deductible, so unless something really bad happens I'm giving the company $1200+/year and STILL paying for all my doctor bills, prescriptions, etc. That's bullshit. I'd rather pay that $1200 in taxes and actually get some fucking health care.

    By Blogger Sig., at 8:47 PM, April 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home