Pure Gonzo Engineering

Friday, April 13, 2007

Battle in the Deep

After four hours of tattooing, I'm one step closer to a completed left arm





I took a half day of vacation today to get this work done. It's been a bitch to find a time since Kalib and Jason at American Inkwell are so busy.

I'm happy for them though. They're living the American Dream. They own their business, and are doing what they love to do. I wish I had the kind of courage they had to tell Nick's Tattoo to fuck off and start their own shop together.

This was my first tattoo at their new shop, which is nice, but it was really cold. I don't know if they have the rule that as soon as it's April they don't turn the heat on, but I was cold through most of the tattoo. Which is odd, since I'm normally sweating during the process.

Like I said, it took four hours to complete. It's a much bigger and more complex piece than I had originally though it was. It's at least as complex as my Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow piece.

It wasn't too painful though. Kalib and I chatted about movies, TV, and music. We have a lot of the same taste and a similar sense of humor. By the end, I was ready to be done. At some point near the end I asked myself why the hell I do this to myself.

When we were all done and I saw the finished product I remembered why. There's no one in the area who can do a better traditional/neo-traditional piece like Kalib can.

Now its Tat Wax and healing.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • democrat...

    By Blogger Steve, at 9:46 PM, April 14, 2007  

  • You should see the shit that Hilary and Obama have on all over them!!!

    By Blogger lawryde, at 10:58 PM, April 14, 2007  

  • Fabulous, though my daughter is disappointed. She was rooting for the squid. When I mentioned it as we were driving to school the other day she says, "Did you know when squid and whales fight the squid poke holes in the whale." I think she knows almost as much as I do and I got 21 years on her.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:10 AM, April 15, 2007  

  • Tell her that the squid could still win. Battles between squid and whales can last hours and they go about 50/50 as far as wins. Just because part of him is in the whales mouth doesn't mean he'll lose!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:47 PM, April 15, 2007  

  • found your blog by browsing LOVE the tatoo. I just got my first, a dragon on my calf.

    By Blogger Dragon's Lair, at 11:17 PM, April 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home