Pure Gonzo Engineering

Monday, April 09, 2007

This mother fucker's like Charles Bronson in "The Great Escape." He's digging tunnels.

I went and saw “Grindhouse” last night. (Yeah, that's what I do on Easter, eat fast food and go to R-rated movies) I had high hopes, as I really like Tarantino and Rodriguez’s past movies.

“Plant Terror” by Robert Rodriquez I thought was pretty cool, although critics considered it the weaker film. It was fun and fast paced, and had the look and feel of a grindhouse picture (from what I’ve read grindhouse films were all about).

After the fake previews with lots of boobies to see, came “Death Proof”. This one really didn’t do it for me. All the cool effects that were done in “Planet Terror” to make it look like we were actually watching an old film reel that was beat up were almost all gone. It also moved kind of slow, and you’re two hours into the film and you kind of start to feel your bladder filling up, and there isn’t enough stuff going on to make you forget about that fact.

There was also the Tarantino scene were you have a group of people sitting around a restaurant table eating a meal and talking about something that doesn’t really have anything to do with the plot of the movie. Now in “Reservoir Dogs” this was the classic “Like a Virgin” by Madonna is a song about big dicks conversation tied in with the “why I don’t tip” conversation, which are classic. I honestly don’t remember what the four ladies were talking about during this meal conversation.

Overall “Grindhouse” was OK. Not what I had hoped though. Maybe if I watch “Death Proof” again I’ll like it more.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • I heart Quentin Tarantino. Haven't seen Grindhouse yet, but we probably will soon.

    By Blogger E, at 3:12 PM, April 09, 2007  

  • Yeah well... we saw it on Good Friday while Jesus died for your sins...

    I like when during the sex scene in the first one, how it melted away and then the film carried on like nothing happened.

    By Blogger Steve, at 5:19 PM, April 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home