Pure Gonzo Engineering

Thursday, April 05, 2007

National Fatherhood Institute Quiz

Before Carter was born, I wondered if I would be a good father or not. Not an unusual response to the idea of having to raise a child and having the potential to fuck up the rest of their life due to how you handle their upbringing.

To judge how I’m doing I’ll take the National Fatherhood Institute Quiz from The Simpsons episode “Saturday’s of Thunder”

Question 1: Name one of your child’s friends.

I can name two. His play buddy Trey and our dog skitch.

Question 2: Who is your son’s hero?

I would say Steve McQueen, but I think I’ll go with my wife, or maybe myself.

Question 3: Name another dad you talked to about parenting

There are a number of dad’s I’ve talked to at the Attachment Parenting meetings about parenting

Question 4: What are your Son’s hobbies?

Crunching up crackers on the floor, Harassing our dog and cats, Pulling clothes and shoes out of closet and drawers, Playing the xylophone, stacking blocks, Swimming (which he loves to do now that we are in lessons together), etc, etc.

Well, it looks like I got 100%.

I still don’t really have 100% clear picture of what it means or takes to be a good father, but as I look at some of the other chump fathers out there, I’ve gotten a good understanding of what makes a bad father.

I think the main component of being a good parent, or being a good part of any relationship is selflessness.

I’m not all that great at being selfless, but I’m trying Ringo, I’m trying real hard.

This is where I got the above quote from.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • "I think the main component of being a good parent, or being a good part of any relationship is selflessness."

    Agreed. Not always the easiest thing to do, but definitely important, especially for parenting.

    By Blogger Nick, at 1:23 PM, April 05, 2007  

  • Private note: You've got to be fucking kidding me! Really?! *shakes head*


    P.S. I don't get the quote.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:43 PM, April 05, 2007  

  • The main thing to be a good father with an 8 month old: Change a diaper and not doing the ole, "I have no idea why he is crying?"

    Saw the Pulp Fiction thing below... Elijah is at daycare tomorrow and we'll be the first one's to see Grindhouse, on Good Friday no less.

    Did you know Vincent Vega is Mr. Blonde's brother? Great tarantino interview below. http://break.com/index/quentin_tarantino_on_opie_and_anthony2.html

    By Blogger Steve, at 11:14 PM, April 05, 2007  

  • Well now I look dumb. I obviously get the quote with the *right* name and video.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:00 AM, April 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home