Pure Gonzo Engineering

Monday, April 23, 2007

Listening to Pink Floyd and taking corporate training

I learned last night that it isn’t the smartest thing to give a 15-month-old fried chicken. Not even the skin of fried chicken, the actual meat part. My poor little guy was shitting like crazy all night, and just had a hell of a time sleeping, too much grease in his system.

I shaved my head yesterday, because I was hot, and my hair was annoying me.

I’ve done this at least 2 or 3 times before. Yet most people at Opposite of Dog think it’s this crazy, outrageous thing that is happening for the first time.

It’s really no surprise to me. And that, Steve, is why I can never show my tattoos. They think it’s wild and crazy when a guy shows up with a shaved head.

I’d love to show up with a Mohawk, but the wife thinks that wouldn’t be such a good idea either.

I think I could make a Mohawk look professional.

So the more I think about he bullshit that happened to me regarding my “performance” at work more than a year ago, the more it pissed me off.

The two golden boys who were saying I was doing a shit job and were getting high ratings have since moved on to new jobs.

In this world we are not judged on our real performance, we are judged on the perception of our value.

I was working on the intake and exhaust system; they were working on the cooling system, which I then inherited.

As I’ve been working on the cooling system, we’ve found out all kinds of things are fucked up in it. Bad assumptions were made, data was incorrect, shit just didn’t add up. I’m fixing it. They got high ratings and I almost didn’t get a raise.

We finally got the test results back on my exhaust system. My muffler passed with flying colors. It’s one of the first ever to be on a bulldozer and pass after the first design iteration. Solid as a fucking rock, not even close to failure.

My brain child.

My design.

The crazy tattooed motherfucker who hates Corporate America can design like a kid out in the rain, while Johnny ass kissers who puts on the air of actually doing a good job, actually output garbage which I then fix.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Dude... Half the people I work with have shaved heads and tattoos...

    Perception of value is one thing, how you portray or sell yourself is another. And that doesn't mean be a kiss ass. It means when you have an idea that's straight up tits, and it blows the hell out of what the rest of the company is doing, be assertive and bust it out. Let people know about it and that you thought of it. They'll begin to look less at the hair (or lack of it) or the tattoos.

    My biggest problem with work now is that I have a sort of senior management level position and the people on the road I now go and sell to do double takes at my youthful looks. I may be 33 but I look 26, 24 even. I have to work extra hard when I get carded at a business dinner or something. Perception of value and what you bring to one's business is all that matters. I feel I can change a person's business the moment I hear about it. The rest... no one cares about once you prove yourself. My age or perception of my age means nothing now to me. You have to let yourself have the chance to be accepted. Unfortunately you choose not to. Perhaps I am wrong, but I have a lot of similarities to your position and I have grown through them the last 10 years. I too work for a Fortune 500 company. I know what it is like. (Nice share price by the way, ya bastard...INVEST!!! GET OUT OF THAT HELL HOLE!!!)

    PS: I gotta video of my son eating banana baby food I am gonna post when I get back. That shit is funny!

    By Blogger Steve, at 6:37 PM, April 23, 2007  

  • Excellent choice in Pink Floyd -- what CD/song?

    I think you could totally pimp a nice 'hawk on the dome --

    More Kudos on designing a functional muffler for a bulldozer -- Now I just need $300,000 to buy one

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:41 PM, April 23, 2007  

  • All I can say is I am so glad I don't work in the corporate world and I never could.

    My guy tries to get me to go to work for State Farm all the time and all I can ever say is, hell no! I'm the nicest person you'll ever meet but also the biggest bitch/loud mouth. If I was in your situation I would be in the higher ups office pointing out their mistakes with the two fucktards and spelling it out to them just how rad I am, and how they need to recognize.

    Thanks for reminding me why I love my job.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:03 AM, April 24, 2007  

  • I hold a senior management role in retail, I just shaved my head into a mohawk this evening as I have a 'musical icons' themed 21st to go to on saturday.

    I probably shouldn't have done it on a wednesday night but perhaps on friday night and got rid of it on sunday. But the truth is, I like to see the reaction of my team (keeping in mind that a large portion of them are part time/students) and I think it helps the atmosphere of the work place. I don't know what my superiors will think or my customers for that matter. I too have done the bald head several times and the occasional moustache too.

    It gives me a chance to act my age as I am only 20, however, look significantly older... Common guesses are between 27-30.

    Anyway, to make my mohawk "workplace acceptable" for the rest of the week I will probably smooth it down to scalp level as much as possible.

    By Blogger Jeremy, at 6:51 AM, September 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home