Pure Gonzo Engineering

Thursday, April 13, 2006

“The Universe is the way it is because we are here to observe it”

This is called the Anthropic Principal. As humans we have certain limitations to our existence. We only have five senses with which to interpret the world around us.

An apple is the way an apple is because we can only see that it’s shaped and colored the way it is, it smells the way it does, it tastes the way it does, it feels the way it does, and it makes the noises that it (doesn’t) make.

There may be some other facets to apples that we aren’t aware of because we are limited in the experiences we can have. Apples may be able to communicate with one another on a level we can’t grasp or understand because it’s beyond our toolbox of abilities. They may be trying desperately to stop the slaughter of their society by the beings they can’t relate to in anyway because they don’t have the same observation capabilities we have.

It is like Friday for me (I get Good Friday off), and I know you’re thinking I smoked some good shit this morning, talking about apples trying to overcome their human oppressors, but I’m actually sitting here at work listening to this sweet ass mix CD I made last night. All the tunes really get to the root of the human condition in one way or another: Poppin’ My Collar by Three 6 Mafia, No Shelter by RATM, Somebody to Love by Queen, etc. I like a diverse selection of music.

Anyway, I told my wife recently that I wasn’t all that impressed with the fact that we had created Carter. I love him to death and think he’s amazing, but the fact that we were able to create him from some man juice and an egg didn’t show me the face of God or anything like that.

I’m starting to be more amazed at the world around me. Starting with Carter.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Here’s and interesting article about probability and the Anthropic Principal.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • you are a crack head- what other kinds of drugs are you on?

    By Blogger H Bomb, at 3:12 PM, April 13, 2006  

  • I've read a bunch of sci-fi about this. Sub-atomic particles have the potential to be in many states, but we collapse the potentials into one solid state with our special brains. Like Schroedinger and his cat.

    Anyway, just think. You're on the path to evolutionary success.

    By Blogger E, at 4:10 PM, April 14, 2006  

  • I don't know. I sort of agree but hadn't thought about. It hasn't hit me that sometime this summer I am gonna have a baby boy. You get all the speeches on how it changes you or how life will change or whatever. Sometimes I wanna sit back and say, "How the fuck would you know?" Then slam another Guinness and give the finger!

    By Blogger Steve, at 6:59 PM, April 14, 2006  

  • Dude- where the posts at? I'm going through Drew $ posts withdrawal (it's an actual syndrome).

    By Blogger H Bomb, at 10:45 AM, April 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home