Pure Gonzo Engineering

Thursday, March 30, 2006

If I dressed like that I'd kick my own ass.

Here’s an example of the kind of shit I have to sit through while I’m deeply entrenched in the corporate world.


It’s almost spring, and what do upper and middle class people who want to say they play a sport do when it starts to get warm? Why, golf of course! I don’t have anything against golf per say, but most of the sort of people who play golf aren’t the kind of people I really like to hang out with (if people can judge me based on the ink in my skin then I can judge people based on the “sport” they play), especially my boss's, boss's boss.

Marketing dude: So XXXXX went to the golf store yesterday, and I figured since he was a product manager that he would come out of there with a big new driver. He comes back and tells me that he was getting his ball retriever re-gripped.

Roaring laughter from the crowd.

If I ever find something like that funny, I want to be put down.
Image hosting by Photobucket

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • I dig skateboarding too, but I started too late in life and never got good. Need to start when you're really young and know no fear.

    By Blogger lawryde, at 9:07 PM, March 30, 2006  

  • I blew my knee riding walls on my skateboard when I was 14. I was a pretty shit skateboarder.

    Golf is the only sport where an average joe can have a perfect one or two, sometimes three holes in a row that makes them totally blow Tiger Woods out of the water for that moment in time, and then never again.

    My moment? I eagled the 8th hole at Sacramento's Land Park Golf Coursed while Chino Moreno of the Deftones sat back and smoked a blunt. Top that Tiger.

    By Blogger Steve, at 8:14 AM, March 31, 2006  

  • I don't get to play as much as I wish, but I actually like golf. Not the stuffy, corporate executive golf... but rather go out with some friends, knock back a few beers and crank some balls golf. We take it about as seriously as a drunken game of poker...

    By Blogger Nick, at 3:42 PM, March 31, 2006  

  • Nick-

    I’d rather just sit outside next to a serene body of water or on a shady deck if it were a nice enough day to play golf and drink some beer and shoot the shit. That way I don’t have to pay greens fee’s or be harassed by other drunk dude’s telling me to hurry up and tee-off.

    If I’m going to say I’m going to play a “sport” I need to get a little more out of it than a two hour walk.

    By Blogger lawryde, at 3:50 PM, March 31, 2006  

  • To each their own of course, but we only pay $7 to golf, and hardly ever get harassed to move along :)

    I said the same things as a lot of people before I gave it a shot. It's boring, everyone's too stuck up, etc... But it's addicting if you make it fun. It's more than just a two hour walk. That's like saying hockey is just an hour skate. I played for 9 years, so I know it's not :)

    By Blogger Nick, at 10:01 AM, April 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home