Pure Gonzo Engineering

Monday, March 13, 2006

Now I know why I’m not a carpenter.

My wife wanted to repaint our bedroom because it was too dark. Ok, lets do it. I foolishly said, “Hey, let’s put some crown molding up as well.” I had put up chair railing in the babies room, so I figured crown molding wouldn’t be all that different.

Turns out it really is that different. I determined I lack some fundamental understanding of the coping and mitering process.
Image hosting by Photobucket
I was just having a hell of a time getting the corners and middle of the run joints to look ok. Finally I just said fuck-it and got out the wood filler. Your average carpenter doesn’t have time to put some real artistry into filling up the one-inch gap in the corner where the molding doesn’t come together. They choose to do it correctly the first time, where as I prefer to tap into the creative side of my brain and sculpt the corner to a point where it’s marginally acceptable. Acceptable enough for a $105,000 house at least. It’s done now, but it will still need some touch-up work when I have some time. A little sanding here and there and a bit more wood filler will make it all better.

My goal-scoring drought continued last night even though we kicked the shit out of the black team 13-2. I don’t think I’ve had a goal in something like 4 or 5 games. I did have several assists yesterday, but no one really cares about that. They don’t have a term for having 3 assists in a game. Three goals, hat trick, three assists…mmmm nothing. I’m also a face-off god now. I win something like 95% of my face-offs. So I do contribute, just not in the only-way-to-win sort of way.

It’s Carter’s first day of day-care today, and my wife’s first day back at work. I hope they are doing well.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • I can't do crown molding for the damn life of me... I do the same thing you did. Get it close as possible and then puddy the shit out of it. Then you just sand it, and paint it.

    By Blogger Nick, at 9:40 AM, March 14, 2006  

  • It's all about cornices man. Cornices are the shit when it comes to crown molding. (God damn, we are so much alike, except for the tatoos and our voting records)

    Two years ago I installed crown molding. My 96 year old house is about as straight as Richard Simmons. There was just no way.

    Lowes has these things in many designs. You basically slam one in each corner and it's all right angles for each cut with minimal chalking. No frustration, I had the stuff hung in three rooms within 6 hours.

    The only mistake I made was not painting it first.

    By Blogger Steve, at 10:35 AM, March 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home