Pure Gonzo Engineering

Monday, April 17, 2006

Remember the Sabbath to keep it holy.

You can work during the six weekdays and do all your tasks. But the seventh day is a Sabbath to God your Lord. Do not do anything that constitutes work. [This includes] you, your son, your daughter, your slave, your maid, your animal, and the foreigner in your gates. It was during the six weekdays that God made the heaven, the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. God therefore blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

On this past holy of weekends, I did all kinds of work so I guess Jesus cried a little bit or something. (I also always forget that the bible condons slavery)
Image hosting by Photobucket

God must not like it when I’m happy then, because after getting all the shit done I needed to, I felt really good.

Ah, what did I do this weekend… My wife had to work (for what ended up being like two hours) on Good Friday, so we stayed in Illinois.

We have a dual sink in our upstairs bathroom, and it smelled like ass, mixed with rotting corpse French cheese when you would run one side. The drainpipes hadn’t been cleaned or maintained since they were put in sometime in the 80’s so they were just thick with this slime of rotting hair and nastiness. I replaced all of them with brand new clean PVC while Carter watched (slept). It was a bit of a bonding moment.

After that, I replaced the hot water gate valve on our washing machines supply line. It was even older than the sink pipes upstairs 50’s or 60’s I would guess. The seal on it was leaking so I put a ball valve on it. All of the plumbing in my house is galvanized, and I’ve heard horror stories about breaking into the system, and then an entirely different part will start leaking. It was successful though, and there were no leaks after.

It’s been nice out, so I decided to touch up some paint on our second story windows that weren’t entirely covered when we painted the house from brown to grayish-blue. I hate being that high up on a ladder leaning against the house, but I really need to stop being such a pussy about heights. I sucked it up and got it done.

Then it rained like a motherfucker. Check out the video on our family blog.

After the rain, the sun came out and I was walking around my backyard. I noticed this PVC pipe kind of sticking out from under a washed over section of my yard. I have a drain (which I thought was to nowhere) in my driveway that always floods when it rains. I finally found the outlet buried about a ¼ of the way into my backyard. I found the end and dug about 6 inches down into the mud. There was still some shit in the tube so I bravely stuck my fingers in and fished out this three-foot section of black-walnut tree roots. I shit you not it was the most disgusting things I’ve ever seen. It was a perfect cylinder of dirt and roots. I crammed a hose up there and flushed all the other dirt and shit out. My driveway immediately started to drain. It was so nice. Usually there’s standing water for a day after it rains.

All in all, it was a pretty good weekend. I did piss my wife off by ruining her new sweater in the wash so I had to sleep downstairs on Saturday.

God must have known I was going to use my gas powered leaf blower on Easter Sunday.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • If I had to sleep downstairs everytime I ruined something in the wash, I'd never see my damn bed...

    "It's not my fault all your damn clothes have special washing instructions!"

    By Blogger Nick, at 8:31 PM, April 17, 2006  

  • I didn't notice this post the other day. I just changed my sink pipes... I am the same person, sans tats.

    By Blogger Steve, at 10:53 AM, April 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home