Pure Gonzo Engineering

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

This is like listening to a discussion on Foxnews except with an Angry Feminist viewpoint.

Text of the Discussion
(I stayed out of it.)

All the ass slapping and atta-boys, or in this case nipple tweaking and atta-girls?

One thing that he mentions in his book that I totally don't buy is how our first ancestral "double income household" was a man hunting and a woman gardening. There are a number of problems with this theory based on other reading that I've done, some of which came up in our discussion with My Biggest Fan on Erica's blog. Also, my sister, who is a nutritionist and has studied such things, says that those ancestors likely did communal raising of children, such as multiple women breastfeeding one child, etc., rather than a standard nuclear family structure that this guy is a proponent of.

I enjoy the logic of instead of only a woman who has a child having enormous engorged milk filled breasts, not cradled in a bra for support, now the entire community of early human woman have them, and then are out killing prey. Maybe the nursing was done communally, but those women weren't out hunting.

But, I am willing to give the book a go, because it's such an interesting theory, and of course, one that jives with my own convictions against the patriarchy.

I also enjoy and prefer only getting information that conforms to my viewpoints.

Square pegs end up fitting in round holes when you're just skimming the top of something and not thinking of the logistics of it.

It's good they don't want kids of their own because by the time they finally do decide and they're 40 they'll end up with genetic defect if they even make it to term. Again logistics of the situation, your bodies weren't meant to have kids that late in life. It's a fundamental part of the human condition, just like the hormones that make little kids gravitate to the toys they want, just like I can't fly by flapping my fucking arms up and down.

I totally want this book. It just makes sense that women want fewer children than men. It takes such a toll on our bodies and so much work to raise them. I hate that men use our bodies to prove their virility. I hate that so often, our bodies are not our own.

The unwillingness to believe that there are women out there that are strong, powerful, and independent who give birth and raise children on their own terms and conditions blows my fucking mind. The generalizations they make are just as bad as “all women should stay home and raise children” and “all men want to fuck everything that moves to make more little versions of them”.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • "I totally want this book. It just makes sense that women want fewer children than men. It takes such a toll on our bodies and so much work to raise them. I hate that men use our bodies to prove their virility. I hate that so often, our bodies are not our own."

    I don't remember which one of them wrote it, but it makes me wonder about their lives. What kind of childhood did they have that made them think this way? It sounds like whoever wrote this has never seen/been in a GOOD relationship where the partners are equal and work together. Sex has always been good for me, but when I found my husband...it's unlike anything in the world. It really is fireworks. I DO NOT consider myself as "being used" in any way! And yes I want "bio babies!" I want to CREATE a child with the man I love and share my life with. UN-FUCKING believalbe! They make me sick. They talk about being proud of being a woman? They should be happy that they can create life inside of them. A man can't do that. AGH!!!

    Maybe they're just too vain and don't want their beautiful bodies to be marked with the signs of childbirth. They should be ashamed for saying such things. They obviously don't know what it means to be a woman.

    By Blogger B.B., at 1:52 PM, June 03, 2008  

  • “all women should stay home and raise children” and “all men want to fuck everything that moves to make more little versions of them”.

    Sure...

    By Blogger Steve, at 3:59 PM, June 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home