Pure Gonzo Engineering

Friday, May 30, 2008

There’s a time to pray, and there’s a time to fight, anything can be a weapon if you’re holding it right.

I have no physical outlet for my stress right now. The rink closure and baby have made it so I can’t play hockey or find time to skate. I need that time to disconnect from my problems and just focus on muscles extending and contracting and the burning in my lungs.

At two and a half, Carter has a natural (oh right, things like this are learned, not natural. How quickly I forget.) disposition for hockey. He’s holding the stick correctly and has pretty good mechanics hitting around a big ball. I’ll post some pics or the video we took. I’m pretty impressed since he’s only watched me and hockey on TV. He’s going to have a good build for it if he wants to play. Dude weighs about 30 pounds right now, but when you pick him up he’s just this muscley little fireplug.

I’ve started driving slower to compensate for the massive amounts of diesel fuel I waste at work. (I enjoy powering my laptop using an 8.8L diesel engine in a D6T.) Quite a few of the roads to the sandbox are 55. Most people rock them at 60 or 65. I also used to. 55 is the sweet spot for your vehicle though. That EPA mileage they list is figured out at 55. Power to overcome aerodynamic drag is a cubic function of velocity. A 9% increase in speed 60 in a 55, results in a 29.5% increase in the power required to overcome the extra drag. I make sure I’ve got some good music to listen to with the extra minute or two I add to my trip by slowing down.

My guitar hero comrade at work introduced me to this band Ludo and their “rock opera” of sorts called Broken Bride. It’s pretty Emo, but you know me, I love it when my makeup smears when I’m listening to my music. It’s OK. Dude really digs it, and it is growing on me as I listen to it more. It’s no The Wall, but nothing is. If you have 28 minutes or so have a listen. (I could only find these set to Final Fantasy footage, but whatever.)









Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • Golf... Golf will take out frustrations... Actually it transfers them... to a little white ball and by the time you reach the 3rd hole, you should be well into the 2nd beer.

    The actual number at which your car gets the best performance and fuel mileage is the number at the top of the speedometer.

    Most 914's can't go 55 easily. There is a flaw in the injection system in a lot of the cars (like mine) that make it sputter and shake at 55 mph in 5th gear. I get around it by shifting to 4th when I have to or saying fuck it and going faster.

    By Blogger Steve, at 8:06 PM, May 30, 2008  

  • Golf would involve him being away for hours at a time on nice days so I say no to that hobby. Plus I can't partake in it because my boobs get in the way of my swing which makes me bitter about the sport.

    What about motocross? Can we afford a dirtbike? I like that hobby.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:40 PM, May 30, 2008  

  • Hey... Natalie Gulbis has absolutely no problem swinging a golf club.

    You can die on a dirt bike... Or lose teeth! I am missing half a front tooth (that has been thankfully fixed) from a dirt bike accident.

    By Blogger Steve, at 1:52 AM, May 31, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home