Pure Gonzo Engineering

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

To get away with it, you just need to be more clever than the next guy.

I had my yearly review today at work. It actually went well. I got the above average rating, which got me a 6% raise instead of a 5% raise. I guess it worked out well that my previous boss thought I had all these issues, even though I didn't. My new boss comes in thinking I'm going to be trouble, and I just do what I was doing and it looks like a huge improvement. I still got the raises I should have last year, and I get an above average one this year.

I guess it still shows through my cheery corporate facade how much contempt I have for upper management though. I still need to work on my "attitude". It's just so damn hard when my wallet says "Bad Mother Fucker" on it. My skin screams at my body to say how stupid all the fucked up processes we go through every day are and how much money the upper management makes while we suffer through health care cost increases and short term pay decreases. I really should have been a plumber. It's so hard to play this corporate game day in and day out. I can't keep track of all the people's cornflakes I shouldn't be pissing in, constantly being aware of who's listening to what I'm saying and whether or not they approve of it.

A highly specialized doctor! That's what I should have been. If TV has taught me anything, it's that a highly talented specialized doctor can get away with almost anything. Maybe in another life...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • Try sales, man...

    And you too could drive a Hummer. Muhahahahah!!!

    Actually... I am "upper" management now. Hey?!?! Wait a minute? I am a prick now!! Shit... I suck!!!

    Congrats on the raise!

    By Blogger Steve, at 2:38 PM, December 06, 2006  

  • Actually, I think you have all the makings of a future Cat CEO! Maybe they're all jealous because you're smarter and younger, and see how bad things are. The sad part is you don't have enough stripes to do anything about it. So play their game till you get promoted to a position of power and authority, then do something about it ;) CT

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:39 PM, December 07, 2006  

  • IMO, the corporate world is like politics. You say you're going to go in and change things, and really you end up being the same way. Don't do it!

    I think of it this way... I have a good job that makes me enough money and has enough benefits for me to live the way I want to live, until I can find something better. That means my own business or professional poker player :) I keep doing my job, but my mind is always on that exterior goal. It's the only thing that keeps me sane.

    By Blogger Nick, at 10:06 AM, December 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home