Pure Gonzo Engineering

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Saint Jimmy

What a weekend. I think it ranks among the most work I've ever done, ever. We put up 1600 square feet of shingles, repaired 3 sections of the deck overhang that were rotting and infested with ants (thank you very much Lucas Home Inspection FOR NOTHING), painted the entire outside of the house, and repaired some fencing so the dog won't get out of the yard. The house looks completely different now. I'll put some before and after pictures up when I get around to it.

We still need to paint all the shutters and trim, but the bulk of the outdoor painting is done. We also discovered hardwood floors in the dining room so we are going to re-finish those this weekend, I think. I need to repair a small window in the garage, seed the lawn with some shade mix, trim back a hedge that is spreading into the driveway, hang some light fixtures and fans, and paint almost all the rooms in the house. Ah, the joys of homeownership. I don't mind doing this work though, since I actually own the house.

My father-in-law is awesome. He paid for the roof and helped us put it up and painted the outside of the house with the sprayer. He also bought me a sweet ladder and all kinds of other small tools. He has two daughters so I'm gladly filling the roll of long lost son for him.

It was 3-12 hour days and 1-8 hour day, but we probably added $10,000-$20,000 of value to the house.

We also met some of the neighbors. They seem nice. The neighbors to the west of us are also a young couple. They have a baby daughter and a puppy(big, not sure what kind). The guy appears to be a doctor or is doing his residency or something, and the wife stays home with the baby.

All in all, I'm very happy with the new house. There is some work to be done still, but once it's done it will be a nice place to live for 5-7 years.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • What joy. Now I remember why I bought a condo. Too much work for me. Besides, I have a busy social calendar. Hope to come down there some day to see your handiwork.

    By Blogger Chris, at 3:56 PM, June 01, 2005  

  • The condo really isn't yours though is it? It kind of is but at the same time it's not. We've got plenty of extra bedrooms. You could come and see the majesty that is Peoria. (Ha!)

    By Blogger lawryde, at 8:00 AM, June 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home