Pure Gonzo Engineering

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Doctor Lawryde PhD

Higher degrees are a waste of money. I've learned more working in industry (about 7 years now including internships) than I would have getting my Masters or Doctorate.

Today I found out I found out I'm almost a hydraulics engineer knowing my shit for the second time. We had a 583T that wouldn’t raise its boom. Everything else worked, including lowering the boom. So what the fuck was wrong? I went out with mechanic Dave to try and figure it out. It was low on hydraulic oil so we filled the tank, hoping that was the problem. Unfortunately it wasn’t so I went and got my coveralls on since it was like –8°C out and gently snowing. I started taking some pressure measurements at various places to try and figure out what was going on. Turns out the pump wasn’t stroking up when a boom raise command was given.

It’s never a good thing when your pump doesn’t get full stroke.

I studied the schematic sitting on top of the hydraulic tank as my gloves froze to the steel of the machine. It had been much colder so the machine was even colder than the air. My gloves were wet and wherever I touched the machine they would stick.

I thought it might have been the boom kick-out switch. The kick-out switch makes it so you don’t bend the boom when you have it all the way up. If you didn’t have it, you’d be able to keep running the winch as the boom bent backwards. We took off the guard and the switch was stuck closed.

Problem solved.

Patient will have a full recovery.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home