Pure Gonzo Engineering

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Jury Duty Day’s 2 and 3

I’m all done with jury duty. I didn’t get picked for any cases and they filled them all for the week.

Tuesday was really boring. I sat in the jury holding pen for most of the day, and only got called in for a traffic case. I didn’t make it in to the jury box. That one would have been nice to be on. It was a suspended license thing with only two potential witnesses. It would have been done that day.

Yesterday we didn’t have to show up until 10:30. Before being brought in for a misdemeanor trial, they asked for volunteers for coroner’s jury. I decided not to try to get in on that since I didn’t want to look at pictures of dead people.

The misdemeanor trial was a dude was accused of beating (kicking and punching) his kid. As they questioned the initial twelve they put in the box, one of the questions was do you use corporal punishment on your kids, and do you think that kids should not be physically disciplined in any case. Sadly, most people did, in fact, hit their kids, and EVERY single on said it was ok to physically discipline their child. I wish I had been questioned in that one. It’s never OK to smack a child. What does that teach them? Fear is your only God. I don’t want that kind of relationship with Carter. I want him to respect me out of love and caring, not fear and pain. One lady talked about how her parents beat her and her siblings with a hairbrush and a belt, and she thought it was justified.

Once they picked the twelve, the rest of us who had survived the entire three days without getting on a case were let go for the week. Overall it wasn’t too bad, I got to do some reading and made about $50 over my normal salary.

Court is a weird place though. It’s like it’s own little universe, a microcosm of what’s going on outside with special rules and procedures for doing everything.

I’m happy to be back in the dirt.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home