Pure Gonzo Engineering

Monday, December 17, 2007

Zen Snow Shoveling

It snowed about six inches this weekend.

Steve- Snow is a frozen crystallized form of water which falls during the winter months due to the temperature being below 32°F (0°C).

OK, now that we’re all on a level playing field.

I heard all these snow blowers running and I just scoffed. Snow blowers are for old men and women, much like the only people without beards are young boys and women.

I find the act of snow shoveling calming and quieting. It turns off the unessential parts of the brain and gets you down to the essential survival parts.

It’s you, the cold, the shovel, and your muscles extending and contracting, much like ice-skating is you, the cold, the skates, and your muscles extending and contracting.

Everything else in the world is stripped away.

I also did a bit of electrical wiring in my house this weekend. I replaced some 1960’s vintage light switches. The wiring in the house is just scary. It’s that old shit with an inner layer of insulation and then kind of cloth wrap on the outside.

The three switches I replaced were all wired in parallel. They took the hot wire and just stripped off three sections on the continuous wire for each switch. Not exactly to code.

Then I spent like an hour and a half trying to get a timer switch wired into my outdoor plug to run my Christmas lights. Something was fucked up with the internals of the switch so I just went with an outside timer that plugged into the current outlet. I should have done that in the first place, it took all of 5 minutes to mount to the siding and setup.

Five days until the great Wisconsin Christmas Odyssey.

I’m your Neighborhood Spaceman… (terrible video, good song)

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

  • Hey be careful with that cloth covering on the wiring. A lot of times in old houses it was made with asbestos. So don't be like Dad and keep it laying around with those frayed ends. Throw it out and don't breath in the fibers!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:21 AM, December 17, 2007  

  • Dude... in Colorado right now... I know what snow is, there is like 4 inches outside. We get like 6 feet at a time in Tahoe. No Cal is not So Cal where it is 80 on Christmas Day... Been in the upper 20's this last week in the morning. We get cold up near Sactown. Look at the temp and weather conditions in Tahoe right now!!
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=rev&smap=1&textField1=39.08694&textField2=-120.15917

    Peoria, Ill isn't some special Mecca for snow.

    By Blogger Steve, at 6:27 PM, December 17, 2007  

  • By Blogger Steve, at 6:28 PM, December 17, 2007  

  • I just assumed all of California is sunny and 75 all the time.

    By Blogger lawryde, at 8:05 PM, December 17, 2007  

  • A very unsettling bit of nostalgia entered my head last week... I was able to keep out of my head for a good three years or so. It starts with "Nim" and ends with "doooooooooode!"

    Enjoy the snow...we've got about four feet here.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:45 AM, December 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home