Pure Gonzo Engineering

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I am a travel God

This past weekend my wife’s college roommate got married. The wedding was in Fargo, ND. That’s 670 miles away from Peoria. That’s 11-12 hours of driving. That’s 23 hours out of 72 that I spent driving. Luckily most of it was through the beautiful, wondrous state of Wisconsin.

The weekend really went pretty well. We left at 2 a.m. on Friday. We traveled north to Madison, my favorite city, to pick up The Poop Queen so she could watch Carter during the wedding and we could drink and stay late. By the time we got to Minneapolis, it felt like we should be there. Unfortunately it’s another 4 hours to Fargo.

When we got there we checked into the hotel. When The Poop Queen made reservations, they didn’t have any suites available. I asked them again when we checked in, and they did. It was an extra $60, but it ended up being totally worth it. It had a door that divided the bedroom from the living area so we were able to put Carter to sleep and still do stuff in the other room.

We went to the rehearsal dinner. I was kind of hesitant since I’m completely socially inept, but I took some lessons from the best and put my learning to the test. Mr. Fresh taught me to find something I find mildly interesting about a person and keep asking them questions about it. People always like to talk about themselves and the stupid shit they find interesting. The dinner was good.

The wedding was supposed to be outdoors and it rained like hell the day of. They had a church backup, but the reception was still under tents. It was also pretty cold, like 50 deg.

The wedding was like every other wedding I’ve ever been to, other than my own. The reception was pretty fun. My wife was in the wedding party, so The Poop Queen and I sat with the boy at a table with some fun other people. One of the girls was in her 20’s and was tattooed and pierced. She was fun to talk with.

After I took The Poop Queen and the boy back to the hotel so the boy could go to sleep, I started drinking heavily. I again exercised my new social skills, and, in an affirmation of how good I’d become, got offered some Hash by a dude in the wedding party I had met the day before. I respectfully declined since my wife doesn’t approve of illegal drug use.

As I got more and more drunk I became more philosophical. I waxed on about the nature of time with a dude I knew from college.

Even though it rained, it was a good time.

The next day we had to leave by 9 a.m. since it was another 12 hours home. I felt good, no hangover. I think it was the taco bell the night before after the reception.

When we got home I was exhausted. I still was yesterday.

I’m almost fully recovered now.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

  • Not to be critical...

    First you say:

    "totally socially inept"

    Then you say...

    "One of the girls was in her 20’s and was tattooed and pierced. She was fun to talk with."

    I don't know man... but you passed up on the weed so...

    Taco Bell is the miracle cure. Every time in college when I screwed myself up, there was a Taco Bell down the street open until 2 AM before they really started opening that late with their "4th Meal" bullshit. I swear to God though, three soft tacos and a mountain dew can fucking cure cancer.

    I should sell you guys my Southwest tickets I get for free for flying so much for 50 bucks or something. We're taking our little squirt to Disneyland soon.

    By Blogger Steve, at 8:16 PM, September 11, 2007  

  • There, I added the link like I was going to in the first place... Jerk.

    By Blogger lawryde, at 8:37 PM, September 11, 2007  

  • Way to party Mr.lawryde !!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:00 PM, September 13, 2007  

  • You are my idol.

    By Blogger Chris, at 10:31 PM, September 13, 2007  

  • "You are my idol"

    In what way?

    By Blogger lawryde, at 8:11 AM, September 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home