Pure Gonzo Engineering

Friday, August 03, 2007

Two posts in one day-When's the last time that happened

I've got this other funny story, maybe not funny, but strange.

I am a test engineer, but we aren't allowed to actually run the machines for the tests. (I still get to play on them frequently) If you have real data to take though you need to have an Operator do it. Just like if you need something wrenched on, you get a Mechanic to do it. Union rules.

Most (all) of the Operators are grizzled old dudes.

So I need to do some slot dozing (digging a blade wide trench and creating a pile of dirt at the end) with a D8.

I grab a grizzled Operator, and we head out to the dozer pile where I've moved the machine to and have it all calibrated just right.

I explain what I need, and walk over to the machine with him from the truck. I figure he's going to do a machine walk around for safety and whatnot. He heads to the front of the blade and I kind of follow. He mentions something about the cutting edge being dull with his back to me.

All of a sudden he's taking a leak.

I make a 180 and head around like I'm checking something out.

Now I've got nothing against a dude taking a piss in front of another dude, but give me some heads up. Say, "Man I shouldn't have drank all that coffee this morning." Or, since he was old "Shit my prostate if flaring up again I need to squeeze a few drops out."

This also is the year 2007 and women also work at our facility. I wouldn't be whipping my Bishop out unless I was damn sure that no ladies who could get me fired were around. I don't even like tightening my belt if I'm not in the bathroom because I think people might think something funny.

He finished up, and we started testing. Midway through the test, while I was uploading some data, I saw him get out of the machine and take a leak again.

He was all cool when we were talking. He didn't think anything of it. I should feel good though that he felt comfortable enough to do that in front of me. I think that's a sign of trust. (in some cultures)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home