Pure Gonzo Engineering

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I am Jack’s misery voyeurism

(I can’t wait to see what Google searches get to my blog with voyeurism in the title)

Anyway, I was talking to my sister and she was telling me how my blog has become boring. My wife said the same thing.

I agree. I do know why though. Nothing bad has been happening to me lately.

Misery and tragedy do two things. They make me write better (always have), and people love to read about other peoples suffering. It makes them feel good.

It makes them grateful for all the special little things they have.

That’s why newspapers sell, and why people watch the news. They want to see people dying in exotic places they’ll never go to. They want to see homicide and genocide and infanticide.

They love hearing about how hard it was to deal with a miscarriage.

They want to hear about moments in your life that break you down and make you build yourself back up to move on.

It makes for an interesting read. It’s better than fiction because it’s real. I was looking back at those posts and they’re so charged with emotion. Brutal honesty like that draws people in.

It’s tragic when a two month old breaks their leg, but how fucking interesting is it to see how someone has to deal with a two month old in a full hip spica cast.

I can’t guarantee this blog will get anymore interesting, but who knows… God may get really drunk again and serve me up something good.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • I must be a strange one. I avoid the news for the exact reasons you cited. I avoid blogs that are negative. I don't want to read about miscarriages or people dying, misery or tragedy.

    The world is depressing enough. Why anyone would specifically seek out misery and tragedy is beyond me.

    By Blogger Nick, at 12:29 PM, October 10, 2006  

  • This is why I write essays rathter than stories. :)

    By Blogger Sig., at 6:37 PM, October 10, 2006  

  • Heh... I don't think your blog's boring. But this is coming from the writer of my blog. When I am bored, I take pictures of shit and then write about it. Some of your most interesting posts here are when you are working on your house and showing us your tats. But hey your blog's reality is far more interesting than some scandal or some missing white college girl on CNN any day.

    By Blogger Steve, at 9:05 PM, October 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home