Pure Gonzo Engineering

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Peoria Firefighters: Saving Lives or Just a Bunch of Assholes

On Sunday we had game two of the C League hockey season. Our opponents were a team consisting of the Peoria area firefighters. It was my understanding that submitting a roster wasn’t allowed for C league, but I guess Peoria public hockey is corrupt and if you know someone you can do whatever you want.

Anyway, the “red” team (Ha ha get it red team and they’re firefighters ha ha ha) comes out onto the ice and they’ve all got matching jerseys with numbers and their names on them. What the hell? This is C league hockey. My tax dollars better not have funded those jerseys. A few of our guys who aren’t all that great start to get a bit intimidated by how big an beefy some of them are. I tell them not to worry and to just play a good tight game.

So we get rolling, I’m starting at center, and a few seconds into the game I get punched in the chest by some jackass. The game goes on and these guys just keep getting dirtier and dirtier. Tripping, hooking, interfering, they do a little of everything. They end up getting four penalties in the game. Near the end, some guy is holding my stick while I’m in front of his net. I start to yank on it really hard and aggressive and the whistle blows because the puck is covered. I’m still yanking because I want my stick back. He calls me a “punk” and tells me this is C league hockey and I shouldn’t be thrashing around. I just stair him in the eyes and go get ready for the face off. I should have told him yeah, this is C league hockey why the fuck is your name on your jersey.

We end up winning 5-2. I didn’t have any goals or assists, but I was winning face offs like crazy. I’ve got it down now and have quick hands.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Your tax dollars probably paid for those jerseys. Next time tell the guy you pay his salary so he better be nice to you.

    By Blogger Chris, at 4:45 PM, November 15, 2005  

  • This one time I played softball. We were in the bottom league. We had jerseys but no names on the backs. Anyhow, this construction team shows up with a dude that was a former Major Leaguer. He was nothing in professional baseball, but the guy was a professional athlete? Playing softball in the bottom league. The dude made big plays and big hits and his teammates would joke with, how good "they" were because "they" had him on the team. I couldn't believe this guy. He looked like he was playing whiffle ball with 5 year olds.

    By Blogger Steve, at 8:59 AM, November 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home