Pure Gonzo Engineering

Friday, November 11, 2005

The business of childbirth

So my wife is about to give birth to our son in January and I’m also being forced to determine what healthcare coverage I’m going to take in ’06: High premium lower max out of pocket, or low premium higher max out of pocket. We’re also taking a Bradley Birthing class that stresses natural childbirth rather than knock ‘em out then drag it out.

The concept seems to make sense to me, other mammals don’t have excruciating labor like humans do. They still feel pain, yet they somehow know how to giver birth without extreme discomfort and without drugs. Why do humans need it? The answer: money.

I talked with a guy at work whose wife gave birth naturally and one who was induced with epidural. The cost difference: Natural = $7492 Drugged= $12,177. So if you were the hospital would you rather make 12 grand or 7.5 grand? Don’t tell me those few syringes of drugs cost an additional 4.5 grand. It’s a big scam.

My 14-year-old dog is having heart failure. He’s been coughing really badly in the morning so we took him into the vet and they X-rayed him. His heart is swelling which pushes on his lungs and esophagus making him feel like he has to cough. The vet gave him some meds to take that should decrease the swelling, but he only has 6 months to 2 years left in him. It’s too bad. I love that dog.

I’ve had three and four hour meetings every day this week at work. I have a hard time concentrating for an hour let along four. I really need to win the lottery so I never have to work again. That would be sweet.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • So graphic.

    Now you know why health insurance is so expensive. People have to have the best care regardless of the cost. You end up paying for the more expensive stuff anyway even if you don't use it because you're subsidizing the people who do through your premiums.

    By Blogger Chris, at 4:50 PM, November 13, 2005  

  • So graphic.

    Now you know why health insurance is so expensive. People have to have the best care regardless of the cost. You end up paying for the more expensive stuff anyway even if you don't use it because you're subsidizing the people who do through your premiums.

    By Blogger Chris, at 4:51 PM, November 13, 2005  

  • It makes sense why healthcare is so expensive I hope something can be done to control the costs and lower them as we are in major crisis.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:52 PM, December 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home