Pure Gonzo Engineering

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Kaboom!

My house exploded last night and I died, maybe not… I found the source of my gas leak. One of the 90° fittings had a really small leak at the joint. I was barely able to see it with soapy water. So now I had this dilemma as to what to do. I didn’t want to call in a professional to fix it since it wasn’t an emergency situation, and there wasn’t a shutoff valve before the leak except the main. If I ever build a house, which I doubt I ever would, I would put shutoffs all over the place even though it would add cost. So I decide to head to Lowes and get myself some epoxy putty. If you’ve never used the stuff, it’s pretty cool. It’s like silly putty, but when you mix it up it sets up like a rock and seals up anything.

I attempt to put it on a first time, but as it was setting up the small amount of gas was seeping in behind it and not allowing it to bond with the metal of the pipe. I was able to pull it of after it had set. I wouldn’t let some little gas leak defeat me though, so I mixed up a second handful of putty. This time I continually massaged it around the joint as it was setting to make sure it was in contact with the pipe the whole time.

This seems to have worked. I went to our birthing class, and came back and didn’t smell the rotten eggs. This morning I also got my head up in the joists and took a big smell and after 8 hours I couldn’t smell anything, so I think I got it. (Crossing Fingers).

For only $3.95 you could pay for my epoxy putty!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home