Pure Gonzo Engineering

Thursday, October 20, 2005

If a thing’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right

I’m some sort of prophetic genius. I felt things falling apart during my last post, and they finally did, mentally that is.

I don’t know what it is about showering that brings about this fear in me, but yesterday morning as I got done showering and was drying myself off I was suddenly struck with the panic that I was going to die eventually and there was no possible way to avoid it. If there is the possibility that there is a God, then there is also the distinct possibility that when we die, that’s it. Game Over. Nothingness. You no longer exist in any way shape or form. Stop what you’re doing right now, and wrap your mind around that little chestnut. Swish it around in your mouth and get the flavor of it. Forget all the shit you need to do today and tomorrow and tomorrow.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I felt like an animal locking in a cage waiting to be put down. I was still half wet, but I ran into our bedroom, my eyes unable to adjust quick enough from the glaring light of the bathroom to find my wife. I pawed in the darkness until I found her and rolled her toward me so I could hug her. She immediately knew what had happened and hugged me close as I began crying into her shoulder. The thought too of some day not being with her seared my eyes, as my breathing finally began to slow. Maybe ten minutes had passed since the fear hit me, and I felt a bit better. I kissed my wife, ran my hand over her pregnant belly and went back to the bathroom to finish getting ready.

I finished more work, at work, than I had in a long time. At the end of the day the fear was farther away, back in it’s cage in my mind.

If you want to help pay for my Psychiatric bill, I do take donations.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • Seriously consider being a philosopher.

    By Blogger Kevin W., at 2:18 PM, October 20, 2005  

  • Well howdy there. Someone who loves Gonzo and Palahniuk as much as I do. I think this is the beginning of a beatiful relationship.

    Say though, how did you customize the top of your page like that? I have some photography I'd like to use for a header, and these prefab templates just anger me.

    By Blogger Louis Berceli, at 6:47 PM, October 20, 2005  

  • Shit...dude..

    Seriously...

    I was thinking about death this morning in the shower....

    My wife left for work so I could think about was hugging the cat...

    Then I realized, the cat was gonna die in a few years...

    FYI... I still laugh everyday over that comment you made a few weeks ago on Michael's blog.."Gimme your baby, I want to kill it" Something about the timing of that one that makes me laugh!!

    Louie B... goe to statcounter.com register and ask the people in the forums... you'll get a few answers and probably the right codes to do it in a couple of days.

    By Blogger Steve, at 9:58 AM, October 21, 2005  

  • Why do you fear the nothingness of the unknown? As if what you are dealing with in the here and now is so much better. Who knows what happens to all the energy we are made of after the last carbon particle is gone? Let it all go, enjoy now, and only plan for the posibility of a future. (which is why I don't worry too much about my credit card debt, it will out live me).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:15 PM, October 21, 2005  

  • Maybe you should think about how much you love me a little more often. Then you wouldn't be so inclined to snap at me when I try to do laundry.

    By Blogger Madame Awesomepants, at 12:08 AM, February 24, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home