Pure Gonzo Engineering

Monday, September 19, 2005

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, Lend me your ears

My wife and I were talking last night about how we don’t really have any close friends here. We both have friends in Peoria, but none that we would classify as best friends, or close friends like we’ve had in the past. The kinds of people you can just go over and watch TV with. You don’t have to have a set plan of things to do. You just enjoy each other’s company and insight into the normal things in life.

For my wife, it’s difficult to make friends because she works with people who have lived in the area their whole lives and already have very close circles of friends. My only excuse is that I’m weird and have distinguishing taste when it comes to the people I hang out with. Most engineers aren’t any fun to hang out with (usually way to conservative for me)… so I don’t.

My best friend ever in the history of me was Jay. He and I were good friends all through school, starting in second grade. We were thick as thieves, especially when we were stealing things. He was an only child, and I was the only boy in my family, so we had almost a brotherly relationship. We had a lot of fun times, but when we went to different schools, we lost touch. We still talk once in a while, but it’s infrequent.

When I went to college, I had two good friends, JJ and Ehron. JJ was a fellow student (Liberal Arts though, not a boring engineer), and I met Ehron when I was doing janitor work at Meriter Hospital. Now that I’m in Peoria, I’ve begun to drift apart from them as well. It’s a fucking Greek tragedy.

I’ve always said that tragedy shows you exactly the kind of person you are, it also shows you how strong/weak your friendship is, whether it be a car accident, psychotic roommate, or an attempted suicide, that shit either makes you better or it breaks you.
Anyway, this place feels more and more like a prison every day, with walls that keep on getting higher. I seriously need to get back into therapy. HA! That won’t make me any friends. Eh (shrugs) I play someone normal on TV.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • shit ... our lives are parallel.

    By Blogger Steve, at 7:49 PM, September 19, 2005  

  • Thank you

    We're still brothers in my book..

    If you want jail, and I get hired by Milwaukee County soon, I could make jail possible if you really wanted it.

    Hi to your wife, and hope her pregnancy is going well/not to stressful on either of you

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:06 AM, September 20, 2005  

  • OK, are you social recluses? I've never had a problem meeting new people in new places. You guys need to try harder at that friendship stuff. Maybe deep down you want to leave Peoria and, subliminally are choking off your social life.

    By Blogger Chris, at 8:41 PM, September 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home