Pure Gonzo Engineering

Monday, August 22, 2005

Gonzo Engineers

We had a house warming party this weekend. My Mother-in-law and Grandmother-in-law both came down as well to see the house and join in the festivities.

In preparation I had to mow the lawn and clean up the outsides areas of the house. I went up on the roof and picked up some sticks and I noticed the gutters needed to be cleaned so I cleaned them even though it’s a pretty shitty job. It made it so I didn’t have to do any inside cleaning though so I didn’t mind.

Right before the party started, I was walking around the house, and I noticed a brownish lump perched on the side of the concrete slab in front of the house near the gutter. It looked like a lump of wet leaves. I looked a bit closer, and I was surprised to find that it was a medium sized bat. I don’t really have anything against bats, they eat bugs and all, and I don’t like bugs. I figure that it must have been hiding in my gutters and when I ran a bunch of water down it flushed it out. It was kind of covered in bits of leaves and was all wet. I proceeded to poke it with a broom to see if it would just fly away. That agitated it, but when it flexed its wings, the right one wouldn’t open all the way.

At this point I felt a bit guilty because I was the one who blasted the water down on it, and potentially fucked up its wing. So I went inside and grabbed a Tupperware container and tried to scoop it up to move it someplace safe. I really didn’t like that at all. It made a bunch of high pitched screeching noises, but I was able to get it in the container and moved it over to the tree in our front yard. From their it was able to climb on it’s own up to the crotch of a limb and hang upside-down. It continued to try and flex its wings and the right one still didn’t open up all the way. I left it for a while and then came back and it was asleep. When I checked it after the party was over, well after dark, it was gone. Hopefully its wing was just too wet to open up and it finally dried out.

Anyway, the party went well. I grilled up some brats and burgers and we drank beer and sat around talking about people we didn’t like at work, and this and that. It was mostly people I knew from work who came, the cool people I know at work I should say.

This morning we found out the sex of the baby. I’m not telling anyone until the baby shower though, so don’t even ask. I’m pleased with what we found out, but like I said in previous posts, I didn’t have a preference one way or the other. I was happier to find out that it was healthy and had all it’s limbs and vital organs.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • It's a boy!!!

    By Blogger Chris, at 10:06 AM, August 23, 2005  

  • Man, you could have grilled up some BATS and burgers. You let a once in a lifetime opportunity slip by. LOL Seriously, bats are good. Over here I would tie one to my shoulder if I could with all the bugs we have.

    I also want to thank you faithful tax payers for your contribution to my dinner. You have to love KBR and their $35/meal rate. I will have you know I am a good custodian of your tax dollars by only going to the chow hall once a day, and taking a salad or sandwich home with me for dinner. :-)

    ~Josh

    By Blogger JPerry, at 8:58 AM, August 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home