Pure Gonzo Engineering

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

"Dad, do you know what Schadenfreude is?"

Ah, March Madness is over. Today all the illini fans at work are sobbing in their coffee mugs. It makes me feel good. It may be another 100 years before they have another shot at a championship.

Anyway, they are tearing apart the main interstate that runs through peoria, and have closed the main bridge from Peoria to East Peoria. This is the bridge that I, and 60,000 other people cross every day. Now we are forced to take one of the three other bridges, which are not very close to the I-74 bridge. To avoid many headaches, I have started to go in to work at 6:30 am. I'm really tired now because of having to get up so early. I need more time to adjust.

My wife an I are also in the beginning stages of home buying. We were approved for a loan through our evil credit union. I have since applied at Lending Tree to find an 80/20 loan to avoid paying PMI. What is PMI you ask? It's a bank way of getting more of your money for no reason. If you don't have 20% down, you have to pay the bank insurance every month just in case you default on your loan. What? So you take more of my money making it harder for me to pay my loan every month, just in case I default on it? Brilliant. Dirty bankers and their dirty tricks.

And finally I'm ready. I've hit step one. I've been depressed because my wife and I had a miscarriage in February. I can hardly believe it's already been a month and a half. Like I said before, you think you've achieved a little piece of immortality and it gets taken away from you. Tragedy shows you exactly what kind of person you are, and exactly how your relationship is. Its like this big moment of clarity in a giant storm. I'm beyond wanting sympathy, or empathy, and any -athy at all. I'm not exactly clear on what I want right now. Right now I'm just living, trying to satisfy my other needs in Maslow's hierarchy.

In case you were wondering:

Homer: (sarcastically) No, I do not know what Schadenfreude is. Please tell me, because I'm dying to know!

Lisa: It's a German term for 'shameful joy', taking pleasure in the suffering of others.

Homer: Oh, come on Lisa. I'm just glad to see him fall flat on his butt!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • I wasn't familiar with the term, but having studied German for 6 years, I knew what it meant. I have no Schadegfreude over your situation. Sorry to hear about your miscarriage situation. Just keep trying. I hate banks too. They are a rip-off artists, which is why I don't do mortgages anymore. Now they just cirle overhead like vultures picking away at my meager deposits extracting fees that greatly exceed interest, leaving just the dead, rotting carcass of my account. They won't stop till they're nothing left. Same goes for investment brokers and many advisors. Just evil remoras.

    By Blogger Chris, at 2:07 PM, April 06, 2005  

  • Chris---you don't do mortgages anymore because you're a millionare and don't have too !:)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:13 PM, April 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home