Pure Gonzo Engineering

Sunday, March 27, 2005

We are the Bad News Bears of Peoria C League Hockey

Last night my hockey team played the "stacked" team in our division. Needless to say we lost 0-6. We played pretty well, it's just that the guys we were playing had a full bench and each one of their players can skate and puck-handle. Shit, we have a 78 year old man on our team, and we only had 5 subs on the bench.

Our whole team is a bit salty about how the league is. The teams are not evenly matched at all. Since this is the lowest level league, you can't have a team roster. The teams are just supposed to be randomly put together. The one loop-hole is that you can ask to be put on with 2-3 other people for ride-share purposes. So every season this team is the same group of guys, all of which are talented. The team I am on is basically all of the guys who didn't have any other people they wanted to be with.

I think we'd all had about enough last night. Some of the highlights included one of our players being ejected in the third period after starting a fight with some fat fuck on their team who is a dirty player to begin with. This fat bastard was hooking and tripping on of our other players, and the guy who got ejected came over and, in his words, "just hit him in the head". Some minor fisticuffs later, he and the fat guy got ejected.

Another incident involved myself and some middle aged dude who should be in B league who thinks he's hot shit. He boarded me the last time we played them, so I had some Karmic Retribution for him.

I play defense, so it's my job to clear any assholes from in front of the net. In the third, Stu decided to park himself in front of the net. I got up in front of him, and gave him an elbow to the chest. I didn't think it was all that hard, but it did give that dull thud noise. I could tell immediately that he wasn't thrilled about this. The play moved out of our zone, leaving Stu and I skating towards their zone. He was behind me and I knew some shit was coming. All of a sudden I feel a kick to my right skate. My panther like reflexes allow me to compensate and not fall down. Stu, however, wasn't ready to hit a wall with his foot.

The jackass tries to trip me, and he ends up almost falling down himself. He stumbles forward and regains his balance. I start laughing my ass off, and tell him if he's going to retaliate at least do it right. He didn't even turn around or do anything, I showed him who's balls are bigger. He's damn lucky he didn't make me fall backwards, or I would have introduced my stick to the back of his legs.

Ahh, good fun. 3 more games left in the winter season. These are the most fun. I can't wait till next weekend.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home