Pure Gonzo Engineering

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

I feel like a dick.

As I'm typing this paramedics are caring for an apparently ok diabetic engineer in my section. About 30 minutes ago a configuration engineer came to me to do some work, and said GWH was asleep. We had a laugh, because he's a bit of an anti-social, work hater. I didn't find it all that weird that he was taking a nap in the middle of work. The guy I sit next to went and asked him if he was ok, and he said yes.

About ten minutes later I went to take a leak and to take a peak myself. He looked like an old man laying back in his chair sleeping. I thought it looked funny, but it didn't bother me. I knew he is diabetic, but I still did nothing.

The guy I sit next to and I went over to another engineer to joke with him about it. He decided to go over and check on him, then told our boss. The result was EMT's and paramedics called to the scene. Sugars were administered. GWH is OK. Matt was the hero today, not myself, and not the guy I sit next to. We were the childish ones. We could have stopped it faster. We felt better to laugh though. It makes me feel like a dick. Pressure and tragedy situations always show you what type of person you are. I've done better in the past, but today I failed.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Good grief. Don't think I've ever seen anyone have a diabetic emergency before. We have a guy who sleeps too, but it's because he is tired not diabetic. At least you'll know what to do next time.

    By Blogger Chris, at 8:47 AM, March 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home