Pure Gonzo Engineering

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The Hardest Working Man in Engineering

My wife was cleaning out a cabinet and found my daily planner from my last semester in college. I was paging through my daily life from exactly five years ago in awe of all the shit I did compared to now.

I don’t really like having to go to the store at night after work now.

Back then I was a full time student, had two part-time jobs (High School Tutor and Hospital Janitor on second shift), was interviewing for a real jobby-job, was designing my tattoo machine for the university invention competition, getting ready to graduate, getting tattooed, going to concerts, and was married.

Here was my interview travel schedule.

11-5-03: Drive to Beloit, WI
11-6-03: Interview with Fairbanks Morse. Drive back to Madison at 4:00
11-13-03: Drive to Milwaukee, WI
11-14-03: Interview with Harley Davidson. Drive back to Madison at 3:00
11-18-03: Drive to Milwaukee, WI Interview with Bucyrus Erie. Stay in Milwaukee
11-19-03: Interview with Modine Manufacturing. Drive back to Madison at 4:00
11-30-03: Fly to Akron, OH
12-1-03: Interview with Goodyear. Fly to Madison at 6:50
12-2-03: Drive to Peoria, IL
12-3-03: Interview with Caterpillar. Drive back to Madison at 5:00 pm
12-4-03: Fly to Seattle, WA
12-5-03: Interview with Puget Sound Naval Shipyard
12-7-03: Fly back to Madison

In a month I traveled over 5000 miles, had 4 flights including connections, took 4 road trips, and was in ten different cities (including connections). All this fit into a school and work schedule.

I took any second interview. It was a way to make extra money. The mileage and meal allowances were a third job. I had interviewing down to a science.

I got offers from Harley, Modine, Goodyear, Caterpillar, and Puget Sound. I paid my bills. I got AB’s and B’s and graduated. I got fourth place in the invention competition.

How the fuck did I do all that?

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Should have moved to Seattle...

    My post college life:

    Drive to LA during last semester... Get internship with RCA Records...

    June 1st... start internship, move in with friend...

    Continue internship... working for free while taking part time job washing cars.

    August 1... move into apartment... work more hours at car wash, still doing internship.

    August 5th... quit internship, take temp jobs... work at car wash.

    September 1st quit car wash, take long term job with Universal Studios...

    October 28th... get fired from job at Universal... take job for $6 an hour at Macy's.

    December 1... move back home, become substitute teacher and get old job back at car wash...

    June 1, 1997 a year after college... take job selling soap to car washes...

    end of 2008... still doing same job...

    By Blogger Steve, at 8:56 PM, December 03, 2008  

  • Little did you know that your real life was only just beginning. That's why I tell kids to enjoy their college years. I doesn't get any better than that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:17 AM, December 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home