Pure Gonzo Engineering

Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Life Aquatic With Lawryde

Well, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go on an overnight drunk...

and in 10 days I'm gonna set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it.

Anyone that would care to join me is more than welcome.

Last night my wife and I went to a Halloween party at a friend’s house.

I went as Steve Zissou, and she went as Jane Winslet-Richardson. My costume was tits, my wife made it.


Early on in the night I decided I was going to get fucked up for a few different reasons.

1. I hadn’t gotten fucked up in quite some time.
2. I was paying money for a babysitter so I was going to enjoy myself.
3. I had a designated driver to drive me home.


We arrived at the party around 7, and I proceeded to drink sweet, sweet beer.

It was a fun party; I became chattier and chattier as I drank more and more. Not very many people had seen The Life Aquatic, but my costume was still tits.

The host of the party, Tom, pulled out some German apple schnapps and started pouring so I had a couple of those. Then he pulled out this other German booze that was labeled Korn, not related to the band. It was kind of like drinking isopropyl alcohol without the blinding side effects.

He also had some Sailor Jerry rum, so he mixed up some ‘bruisers’ (spiced rum, amaretto, coke, and a twist of lime).

By the time 11:30 rolled around and it was time to go, I was feeling no pain.

As soon as we got into the car I knew I was in for a bad time. We had to pull over one exit after we got on the interstate to go back home. I opened the car door and yacked. My wife said she could smell a whiff of alcohol after each splat hit the ground.

We ended up stopping 3 more times, twice on our street, before we got home. A 25 min drive turned into a 45. My world was spinning, and I wanted nothing more than to go to sleep, but my stomach was going to punish me for drinking so much. I spent most of the early morning hours sitting hunched over on the downstairs bed with a bucket dry heaving and puking every so often. I couldn’t lay down because it was just too dizzying. By 3 AM I had sobered enough to be able to sleep lying down.

This morning I feel pretty good, bit of a bad taste in my mouth, but no major headache, and I’m able to keep the food down.

It was a good time, with the exception of those 3 and a half hours. (kind of makes me hope that time is like a straight line rather than like a mountain range). Anyway, we’ve got another party to go to next Saturday. I think I’ll take it easy at that one.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home