Pure Gonzo Engineering

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Sick and Sore

Everyone in the house other than our carrier monkey son has been sick the last few days. It started Saturday afternoon, aches, tired, stomach. I felt better Sunday and stupidly went to play rat hockey Sunday night. I now feel pretty crappy again.

I once had Mono. It was December ’99. I can easily remember because I was super sick when everyone else was having a great fucking time assuming the world was going to end. I was in a state that I wouldn’t have really cared if it had. I slept for like 23 hours a day, and hobbled painfully into the bathroom and attempted to eat things with my throat almost swollen shut from my tonsils. It was that point in my life that I became pro Euthanasia. If there had been no hope of me ever getting better from the mono, I would have wanted to die. It’s easy to wax on philosophically about the value of life when you’re healthy, wealthy and having fun. Try telling someone struggling to make it to the toilet how great their life is.

I’m nowhere near as bad as I was then, now. I still feel like shit. I really shouldn’t be at work. I’m such a fucking trooper.

There is a storm coming that I don’t know if I have the strength to weather. I hope I can.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • I had mono our senior year in high school. Was out over Thanksgiving break. Everyone was stuffing themselves, and I could barely breathe. Bastards.

    By Blogger B.B., at 1:05 PM, September 25, 2007  

  • I contracted Mono my Junior Year in college, right before spring midterms. I hated life. I fell asleep during my marketing midterm. I explained to the teacher that I had mono and he wondered why I even came. I got an "A" on my loss leader example.

    But dude, mono is a shitty disease. Turns out the girl I was seeing saw her "ex" during her winter break and he had come down with it. So the bitch was the carrier.

    Flu shots dude... get one. Even the stomach flu then isn't as bad.

    By Blogger Steve, at 6:48 PM, September 25, 2007  

  • Hey now, you know we're dirty, liberal, hippies and therefore we don't believe in things like the flu vaccine!

    I remember your mono (Lawryde's, not Steve's). You were pretty miserable.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:50 PM, September 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home