Pure Gonzo Engineering

Monday, August 28, 2006

Planes Crash… That’s what they do.

I flew ComAir a few weeks ago from Peoria to Atlanta, in a CRJ nonetheless. I’m always a little nervous when I fly, not nearly as bad as I used to be, but still a bit nervous. Like I’ve said before though, that nervousness is founded in the fact that we all think we’re special little snowflakes. Being in a plane crash is like winning the lottery, but you die. Out of the millions of people who flew since the last plane crash in the US (2001), only 49 have died. There have been more than 49 lottery winners since 2001.

It is kind of messed up those people had to die fiery deaths as a result of the dumb ass pilot picking the wrong runway. Wouldn’t you know from flying enough how much runway your plane needs to get airborne? It’s like parallel parking. I know how big a spot I need to make it work. Ah well.

I got a few more quotes for the termite problem I have. I found a reputable local company that’s going to charge me $650 for doing just the house, then $90 a year after to make sure the bastards are gone. It would be another $400 to do the garage, but this treatment should kill the colony, so I’m going to roll the dice and pay for the garage only if I have to. Also, the dude said that he though the house had already been treated way back in the day when they were using a chemical in the same class as DDT to treat for termites. He showed me a repeating pattern of drilled holes in the basement wood, which he thought indicated that. I was reading up on that old chemical, and they say it lasts almost forever, but I’m not going to risk it and just drop the 650.

I was highly disappointed in the season finally of Deadwood last night. Instead of going out in a cliffhanger or a bunch of action, it just kind of fizzled to an end. I did like Al’s line: “In the aftermath, play the lie as mine, knowin’ I speak of you in heaven.”

Buy Instant Grocery List, and I can stop putting these plugs at the end of every post!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home