Pure Gonzo Engineering

Friday, December 16, 2005

my heart was full of joy. I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horatio Alger...a Man on the Move, and just sick enough to be totally confident.

There are occasion in life that give you perfect clarity and vision of the world around you. The past few days seem to have given me that. It’s hard to explain. After getting slapped in the face hard from work I was upset, but strangely acceptant of my fate. Kind of like an AIDS patient coming to terms with their inevitable death.

Maybe the Wellbutrin has changed the chemical composition of my brain enough to better accept things like this.

I got another shocker this morning. My boss wanted to meet with me. I was scared, gun shy from two days ago, I thought maybe he found my blog and was pissed, maybe he was upset I had been badmouthing the whole situation to everyone I could, maybe he was going to fire me for some unknown reason. I just didn’t know. I got even sweatier when he said we needed to go into a conference room to talk and not in his office.

I was pretty much ready for anything. He told me he had thought about what I had said to him during my review, and felt he had been too harsh in his evaluation, not allowing me to be an “ENGINEER” next year. I told him I didn’t want to have any mistrust between us, which is the truth. I’d rather be in a pleasant working environment than one that’s full of friction.

Turns out that I will get that promotion. Maybe things wouldn’t have been the same had it been July, or if my wife wasn’t about to give birth, or who knows what. Perhaps this was his evil plan all along, scare me into making sure I’m here more with the knowledge he could bring the hammer down on me at any time. In any case, I did learn a little something. I’ll be covering my ass, and playing the game a bit harder from now on.

I told one my comrades at work about the situation and how it went down.

He told me I should have said, “Well good, I can go back to working half days now.”

I couldn’t help but laugh out loud.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • Lawryde ... a little advice ...you may want to consider having one blog that you wouldn't mind your boss reading and another more anonymous one where you can let it all hang out so to speak. Like church and state, some things are best kept apart. If I were "the man" or an HR troll, I might not take too kindly to employees badmouthing me and my company in the public domain, though you honesty is always refreshing.

    By the way, when is the baby due?

    Oh, and congrats on the promotion. You probably earned it even though your boss thinks you're a slacker.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:33 PM, December 16, 2005  

  • Fuck that shit! I don't make any specific reference to names or companies in this blog. It could be a work of creative writing for all anyone else knows. I'll only dance for the man so much.

    Jan 03

    By Blogger lawryde, at 2:03 PM, December 16, 2005  

  • Heh... You crack me up with your comment there.

    Congratulations! That's awesome on the promotion. I actually smiled when I scrolled down and saw you got the post.

    You oughta write Tom Cruise and ask about Welbutrin.

    Jan 3rd? Holy Shit that's close! Maybe it'll happen by December 31st for the tax write off!!

    It's sound more and more like we are the same person except in bizzaro land. I turned down a promotion opportunity because I thought it'd suck even though I'd bust my ass and be the shit! And well, looks as if you and I will have something else in common in 2006.... We'll be Dad's!

    By Blogger Steve, at 12:35 AM, December 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home