Pure Gonzo Engineering

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Is it wrong that I get tattooed?

I asked myself that last night as I was getting a spider web tattooed on my left elbow. Partially because at that moment it was fast becoming one of the most painful of my 50+ hours of tattooing. Am I wasting my money?

What do other people spend their money on?

Big houses: I’ve got a very modest home. It only cost me $104,500. (It must shock people that I throw around these numbers. Most people are such freaks about how much money they make or how much their shit cost them... that's a whole diffrent post though). It has it’s problems, as those of you who’ve read my blog before know, but it has charm. I probably could have afforded a better, more expensive house, but this one was OK.

Big TV’s and Stereo’s: I really don’t understand why guys want to have 60” TV’s. If you have one, that’s cool for you, but I’ll stick with my 27” screen and non-surround sound system. Yeah, it is fun to have the movie theatre experience, but I’d rather be tattooed than have a big TV.

Lot’s of expensive cars: Guys love fast flashy cars. I think cars and trucks can be cool too, but I don’t see the point in owning more than one per working person, or dropping thousands of dollars on aftermarket shit to make it have a few more horses. If that’s what makes you happy though, I say go ahead and do it.

They have other expensive hobbies: Drinking beer for example. I have a friend who must drop at least $250 a month on beer. You know if that makes him happy, I’m cool with it. I can’t understand spending that much money on booze.

They go out to restaurants on a regular basis: I like a good steakhouse steak as much as the next guy, but I also like to cook. I always tell people that if I weren’t an engineer I would want to be a chef. Nonetheless, it’s expensive to eat out by at least 25%. Again, if you like to eat out a lot, that’s cool. You should enjoy the varied cuisine you imbibe.

They have expensive past times: Like golf or hunting. These can also be very expensive. Green fee’s, clubs, hunting licenses, guns, shells, land to hunt on can all add up. I don’t do either of these things. I get tattooed.

I’ve kept track of how much I’ve spent on my tattoos over the years. Before you judge me and say I’m wasting my money maybe you should add up what you’re spending on your hobbies, pastimes, and other “frivolous” things.

Maybe the one advantage I have over all the other people is that I get to have my tattoos with me until the day I die, 24/7, 365 and ¼. You don’t get to use or do the above things all the time.

I love my tattoos.

They are me.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • You should mention that this new tattoo was a Christmas gift from you lovely wife ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:01 PM, December 08, 2005  

  • BURN!! BURN!! SHE TOTALLY GOT YOU

    Ha hahahahahaha

    Way to go Steph.....stick it to the man..


    How much space is left for new or possibly revised art?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:57 PM, December 08, 2005  

  • I wrote about something like this over the summer. I call it the "Smoking Habit" You go outside and get in a car to drive somewhere and your neighbor across the street is doing the same thing, driving the same car, living in the exact same house as you, but he smokes! How does that happen? Where does he get the money? A pack a day? that's like 150 bucks a month!! I wish I had 150 bucks a month to blow on stuff!

    By Blogger Steve, at 8:42 PM, December 08, 2005  

  • If something makes you happy, then it is NEVER a waste. You're(we're) worth it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:29 AM, December 10, 2005  

  • Right on brother!

    By Blogger Chris, at 12:54 PM, December 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home