Pure Gonzo Engineering

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Tatau

Instead of being riveted to the TV watching whom GWB named as his pick to eliminate all of our freedoms, I watched the new TLC series Miami Ink. It’s a show about 4 or 5 tattoo artists who open a shop in Miami and all of the fun little adventures that happen to them while working at the tattoo parlor.

Now I’ve spent some time in tattoo parlors: something like 60 hours being tattooed. Probably another 30-40 just bull shitting with my artist and talking about new shit I wanted to get and whatnot. I love tattoo parlors so much. Watching this show just brought back what my dream job would be: manager of a chocolate factory run by big-breasted hookers. No I don’t have the schoolin’ for that.

But seriously, if I won the lottery, or even won like $100,000, I would move back to Madison and open up the coolest tattoo parlor ever. Why? Tattoo parlors are the most fun, interesting places of business that exist. The clientele are so incredibly varied in opinion and interest that the conversation is always compelling, and the people are always in a good mood. Tattoo artists are, by nature, either supper cool or major assholes. I would only hire the super cool ones of course, but mix that coolness with the fearful or passionate nature of the people coming in, and you have an amazing world to be in.

Like I’ve said before, I’m starting to get hungry again for another big “fuck off” tattoo. Watching the show only made me want it more. When you hang around non-tattooed people (like at work now), you begin to not be as excited about your ink. It’s more of a divisive thing between you and the non-tattooed person. They don’t understand, and there’s no way that you can make them understand. When you are around tattooed people though, it’s entirely different. The mood is relaxed; you’re excited about your ink and about the other persons ink. Damn! I miss it.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • I'm sorry you miss Mad town and the parlor, but I'm glad you caught the show. I meant to tell you about it since it's right up your alley. I wish you 2 could live in Madison, it's so much closer ( and cooler, of course )

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:40 PM, July 20, 2005  

  • Hello, I have digital pictures of my child now, e-mail me (if you still have it) and I could send you a few. HUGE HUGE congratulations on the new pregnancy/house/possession achievements.

    I've borrowed a page from your book and have joined up in a few "Man we're shitty and can hardly fucking skate" hockey leagues.

    Hope to hear from you soon,

    Jay

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:33 PM, July 21, 2005  

  • What's up Chief? I don't know if I still have your email or not. What is your kids name? You never told me.

    By Blogger lawryde, at 8:17 AM, July 22, 2005  

  • Her name is McKenna, the info and pictures will be sent to your beautiful (and pregnant) wife. You can then either read it, or have her read it to you :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:47 PM, July 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home