Pure Gonzo Engineering

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Who was that? (In a British Accent)

I work so that I can live, I don’t live to go to work. Thusly I try not to let shit bother me when I’m at work. I don’t sweat deadlines, but I’m still able to meet them all. I don’t care if somebody makes a mistake that I have to help fix. We’re all human and we’re all going to make mistakes. I don’t chew people’s ass over little things, or even big things. I just try to get the job done.

I’m embarrassed when people get so hung up on work that they feel the need to demean other people at work. It’s just a job. Most people’s jobs aren’t really that important anyway.

I guess that at every job I’ve ever worked there is always an asshole:

County market produce department-Don Ruffi: What a fuck, my first boss ever. The power went out one morning when I was the only one to set up the produce department on a Sunday. I was 3 hours behind and still had the place set up and the load broken down by the time the church rush hit. He came in and bitched at me because the fresh bunch carrots had dirt on them.

Boys and Girls Club of the Wisconsin Rapids Area-Wendy (can’t remember her last name): What a stupid bitch. If your going to be a supervisor then you need to be able to make decisions, it’s part of your job. She couldn’t tell you if you could spend $10 to buy supplies for the day or not.

Copps Meat department-Gary the meat cutter: This guy was literally crazy. He was a pig farmer until he went broke. While he cut meat he would mutter obscenities. If you asked him a work related question he would just yell at you that it wasn’t his job. He finally got fired for unhealthy cutting practices.

Associated Bank-All the personal bankers. They thought they were hot shit because they were opening people’s savings and checking accounts. They felt we tellers were just idiots. They always treated us like second-class workers.

Meriter Hospital- All the doctors and nurses, and Jim and Pete. Just because I’m doing janitorial work doesn’t mean you’re smarter than me. I’m just doing it to make some money while I go to school. Doctors wouldn’t even say hello to you while you cleaned up their areas. What dicks. Nurses, don’t get in their way they have important business to attend to. Jim and Pete the supervisors were just big tools. Always trying to catch you taking an unauthorized break even though you were getting all your work done in your area in the allotted time. They just wanted to bitch at you.

Monona Tube and Welding- Old Piss Fingers and Tom Bukala. The purchasing guy didn’t wash his hands after he took a pee and he was a jerk. He thought he could change this small company single handedly. He and Tom ended up breaking it and it ended up shutting down. Tom was the shill boss who knew The Tube would eventually go belly up so he was a butt-boy for Donaldson. Taking jobs that sucked ass and not taking jobs that would actually be lucrative. He was my first taste of a two faced asshole.

Miller Electric- Can’t remember the guys name- he was a product manager, but he would just lay into people and customers and suppliers if they didn’t do exactly what he said. My cube was right next to his office so I got to hear him tell off several employees and contractors who were doing work on his new house.

Janesville Janitorial Service- There was this stupid woman who wouldn’t clean at the pace everyone else would, and she refused to be given any pointers as to how to speed up. (It’s funny how my memory gets worse and worse the more recent the job is, must be the booze from college)

Madison East Public High School- I only worked about 15 hours a week tutoring here, so I really didn’t interact with anyone enough for them to be an asshole to me. I mostly worked with students who were pretty cool and nice. The exception to the rule I guess, only jaded adults ruin work.

Prepubescent Butterfly Inc.- I’m not at liberty to discuss this job as I am currently working at it and several employees of this company frequent this blog. So I’ll just say that everyone at Opposite of Dog is an exemplary individual who does his or her job in a kind, courteous, efficient manner.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • When somebody asked me what I learned at my past jobs, I said that I learned what I didn't want to do for the rest of my life and how to treat people with respect. You may have learned the same thing.

    By Blogger Chris, at 1:54 PM, July 12, 2005  

  • I am still serving the industry that I got my first job in, in high school.

    Scary I went through that 4 year degree bullshit to wind up almost doing the same thing.

    By Blogger Steve, at 8:48 PM, July 12, 2005  

  • I'm currently looking for a job, and I hope to God that I don't get stuck with assholes like you did. Many sympathies, lawryde.

    By Blogger Kevin W., at 11:11 PM, July 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home