Pure Gonzo Engineering

Monday, June 27, 2005

I bruised my ass

This weekend we moved from our apartment to our house. The average high temperature on Saturday and Sunday was about 95°F. It was sunny and hot. Hotter than Dutch love, Hotter than two rats fucking in a wool sock. It was hot. Myself and four other guys I know from work filled up a 26' truck in 2 hours and unloaded it in another 2 hours. Did I mention how hot it was? After we had steak and beer.

In order to get the Queen size box spring up the stairs, we had to do some demolition. The door frame leading upstairs was put in a long time ago, when people were shorter. I had to duck under it to go downstairs. Anyway, the box spring was not going to fit, so I started to chip away at the plaster to see what was under it. There were two true size 2x4's framing the doorway. They didn' t appear to be load bearingg part of the structure, so we got the reciprocating saw and dug in. After they were cut I hammered away some more plaster and pried them off the supports above. All in all we took about 7 inches out of the door frame. The box spring went up and we were able to sleep on it that night. Now I'll need to do some repair work to move the door frame up, or put an arch in it or something. The only other thing that went wrong during the move, was that we punched a small hole in the back of our couch. We got an insurance policy from the furniture place though, so they should repair it free of charge. I'd say we are now about 40% done unpacking. All we need to do now is clean up the apartment and we're fully moved.

We lost last night in hockey, and I fell and bruised my hip/ass. The pads shifted because I was extending myself, and they didn't protect me when I fell. My ass hurts today. We are now 1 point down on 2 other teams. We are 2-2 and they are both 2-1-1.

I'm really tired. This heat is unbearable. It's supposed to be 100°F on Wednesday.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • I'm glad you didn't call me to help out. Moving is such a bitch. When is the house-warming party?

    By Blogger Chris, at 4:25 PM, June 27, 2005  

  • When I moved I hired a mover. The dude was this 50 year old Red Ass Oakie. He had a deaf mute and another guy who only spoke Spanish with him. It was classic watching him scream at the guys when they didn't understand as he moved my stuff up all the stairs.
    Best 400 bucks I ever spent and I didn't have to do shit but laugh my ass off.

    By Blogger Steve, at 9:54 PM, June 27, 2005  

  • Too bad about the doorway, but an arch would look nice there. Congrats on completing the move without killing yourself, or anyone else ( besides the couch ).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:38 PM, June 28, 2005  

  • Too bad about the doorway, but an arch would look nice there. Congrats on completing the move without killing yourself, or anyone else ( besides the couch ).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:39 PM, June 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home