Pure Gonzo Engineering

Friday, June 24, 2005

Life's but a walking shadow

As the population of Wisconsin Rapids now must know and several other cities in Wisconsin, I figured I would let the rest of the world know that I am going to be a daddy.

That's right my wife is now about 12.5 weeks pregnant with our child. This last Monday we went to the doctor and saw it's heart beat for the 2nd time. At this point it actually looks human, past embryo stage into fetus stage. The baby is due date is January 3, 2006. First and foremost I hope it's alive and healthy, but secondly I hope that it decides to come kicking and screaming into the world some time in 2005. Firstly because I could then get a child tax credit for the entire year even though the child would have only been alive for a few days of the year. Secondly, Opposite of Dog's insurance gets shittier on January 1, 2006. If we have the baby sometime in 2005, almost all of the expense will be paid for by the company. If we do have it in 2006, we have to pay something like 10% of the bill up to $X.

We are going to determine the sex at the 20 week doctors visit. No sense in leaving it a "surprise". I don't really care what the sex ends up being. I just want it to be alive and healthy.

So what happens when two crazy people reproduce. Does a super crazy person unable to deal with reality come into existence, or is it like -1*-1=1? Or like ugly people having a good looking child and beautiful people having an ugly child. I don't know we'll have to wait and see.

My parents have never sounded so excited on the phone when I told them. This will be their 4th grandchild, but up to this point in my life anything I've ever told them never made them more excited than this.

So I'm 24 years old. When my father was this age, he already had a 3 year old. When I'm 42 the child will graduate from High School. When it is 24 and possibly having children, I will be 48 going on 49. Crazy shit. I guess the question is will this increase or decrease my fear of death? I do know that I need to get more life insurance now. Enough to pay off the house, cars, student loans, and all other debt, plus the child's college, plus money for my wife to live on for a while. Fucking responsibility, it always gets the best of you in this life.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • Congratulations. There's no telling what you're gonna get ("life is a box of chocolates").

    -1 * -1 = 1 is better than -1 + -1 = -2.

    The only way to get back at your kids is to live long enough to be a burden to them. Of course, they'll be choosing your nursing home, so you can't really burn bridges.

    By Blogger Chris, at 10:47 AM, June 24, 2005  

  • Graduate at when your 32? That is one smart kid!! And they ain't even been born yet.

    By Blogger Steve, at 9:47 PM, June 26, 2005  

  • So I have fat fingers when I'm typing, thanks for being gracious and pointing out every little mistake. Feel like a big man now?

    By Blogger lawryde, at 7:39 AM, June 27, 2005  

  • Yeah....

    By Blogger Steve, at 8:36 AM, June 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home