Pure Gonzo Engineering

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Gaming the system

I’m constantly told by Conservative coworkers-family-jackasses that there are thousands upon thousands of lazy bastards who are just living off the government and stealing their taxes.

OK, they are playing the system. I concede that and those people do exist.

The revelation I had though came when I was talking to my wife about a person we know who owns investment properties, but intentionally looses money on them to get a tax benefit from them.

How is this any different than the person who has found a way to live off welfare? The person with the investment properties is gaming the system to pay fewer taxes. Is it ok because they are doing it in a more clever way than the person who is able to avoid getting a job. I think that’s pretty clever too.

All the rich jerks who exploit every possible tax shelter, deferral, and loophole are just as bad as the lazy dude gaming welfare. They are making it just as bad for everyone in the middle who just sucks it up and pays what they have to and works.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • So...I'm conservative...and I'm disgusted by that as well. What does that have to do with it?

    There are lots of people trying to figure out some way to get some of "that money". My newest irritation is that a father wants to take a second mortgage out on HIS home so he can lend money to his daughter for HER to buy a condo and get the $8000 home buyer credit. Never mind that she's only 18 and isn't responsible enough to be a home owner. How can a kid still in college making under $10,000 afford a $180,000 condo? Yeah, that's not a red flag for the IRS.

    Isn't that lovely?

    By Blogger B.B., at 3:50 PM, August 27, 2009  

  • I agree, those people are just as bad. Did I just say I agree with you :)!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:07 AM, August 28, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home