Pure Gonzo Engineering

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Kitchen Remodel: Day 1

It was a brutally physical day of tearing apart our kitchen. My dad had come down yesterday and we got to work at about 10:30 am when my wife and Carter headed up to Wisconsin to avoid the carnage. We wrapped up at about 9:00 this evening. Pictures are better than anything I can describe.



Taking out the uppers



Dad tearing down the little L-shaped wall that the stove sat in.



Old paint dust and demolition debris doesn't taste good.



Cabinets are out! Now on to the fake parquet floor.




Oh look, there is 1950's yellow and green linoleum underneath and another layer of plywood!



This was the hardest part. Those sheets were nailed every four inches.



Cleaned up sub floor, ready for cement board and one tired Lawryde.

Work begins at 8:00 am tomorrow, the Lord's day. Installing cement board, rebuilding the L-shaped wall, priming everything and finish painting everything.

I'm tired, and my muscles ache. This should be the most physically demanding day. We knocked out a lot of work. All the base structure is in good shape, which is a big plus.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • I guess this tops my garbage disposal install.

    By Blogger Steve, at 10:47 AM, March 16, 2008  

  • Sorry to steal you thunder buddy. I took out my garbage disposal and saved it for re-install.

    By Blogger lawryde, at 1:17 PM, March 16, 2008  

  • You sound just like the HGTV guys. It also looks like you have/had the same shitty cabinets and parkay floor that we do. Can we hire you out next summer? I desperately want a dishwasher :)

    By Blogger B.B., at 6:10 AM, March 17, 2008  

  • Installing a dishwasher would be easy. Total destruction is hard work.

    My engineering burden rate is something like $110 an hour, might be cheaper to DIY.

    By Blogger lawryde, at 8:21 AM, March 17, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home