Pure Gonzo Engineering

Friday, February 19, 2010

7/64

I'm thoroughly convinced that the engineers at faucet companies are incompetent douche bags. Back when I was trying to find an adapter to fill our birth pool I found our sink aerator had 55/64-27 threads on it.

Our Moen shower cartridge valve is leaking so I need to replace it. The set screw on the handle has an allen head on it. I tried all the allen wrenches I had at home and none of them worked 1/8 was too big and 3/32 was too small.

Really guys, you had to use one with a 7/64 allen head? Really? 1/8 too common for you? Is it trying to be different or just difficult? Why not make it a torx bit to make it even more of a pain in the ass to change, or how about those queer bolts with just to small holes on the head like they have on elevator panels. Make it a real challenge to get into.

I guess that's the way you tell the world to fuck off because you're designing shower handles.

I can see that design review meeting right now.

"Whao! Whao! Whao!, Johnson, what the hell is that? Is that an 1/8 allen head set screw you've got holding that handle on."

"Yes."

"How long have you been working here son?"

"6 months"

"Ah, the impetuousness of youth... You do realize you're designing shower handles? You're going to be designing shower handles for a long time. You really want to give Joe Pulic the ease of taking off an 1/8 allen head set screw?"

"It's serviceable though, everyone has an 1/8 allen wrench in their set."

"You're Goddamn right it is, and you're Goddamn right they do. You better make it a 7/64 allen. We are fucking shower handle designers, are we not."

And.... scene.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time. I just finished letting out a laugh in my hell of an office space. Thank you for that. Why aren't you a comedian?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:01 PM, February 25, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home