Pure Gonzo Engineering

Thursday, February 02, 2006

"Honor Blackman, aka Pussy Galore... what a fucking misnomer"

Like I said above my swallow tattoos, the stupid Pirates of the Caribbean movie told pop culture that the traditional swallow tattoo was a sparrow. This was due to the main character Jack Sparrow having a swallow tattoo and flashing it when he said his name. I believe it also had the lettering sparrow on it. So now everyone who's seen that movie is a bit less intelligent. I've even caught myself saying it a few times.

Sailors got swallows tattooed on them because they wanted to return home, you know the song "When the swallows come back to Capistrano". It was a luck thing hoping they'd make it back home like swallows do.

Another popular misnomer that pisses me off is the goatee. I'm a bit of a facial hair aficionado... Well not really, but ever since I've been able to grow facial hair I've had it in one form or another. The main reason is that I'm lazy and I hate to shave, the second being it makes me look a bit older and more distinguished, and the final it makes me look better in general.

Back to the misnaming of facial hair, if you look at the chart below you will see the true definitions of what facial hair is what.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Now what most people call a goatee, isn't the true definition of the goatee. It's kind of a Van Dyke minus the side burns, or a Hollywoodian minus the extra stuff on the sides. I was wearing a 21st century goatee back in the late 90's, but I've switched to the short boxed beard since every tool box who dabbles in facial hair has gone to the 21st century goatee. I don't know that I could ever go to the moustache since I look like a bad used car salesman or a sex offender when I wear one.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • I like it when you look like a used car salesman. It's kinda sexy ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:21 AM, February 02, 2006  

  • I hate Johnny Depp.

    By Blogger Kevin W., at 6:39 PM, February 02, 2006  

  • Definately the friendly job... Gotta love the huge burns into the mustache.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:04 PM, February 02, 2006  

  • Where's the 5 o'clock shadow?

    By Blogger Steve, at 9:36 AM, February 03, 2006  

  • I love this chart!
    :)
    I wonder if anyone's done a personality analysis based on choice of facial hair styles ....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:13 PM, November 20, 2015  

  • I love a man with a beard, the fuller the better. But for some reason, the little goatees (it seems like the young men who are possibly just recently able to grow them favor them,) the ones that are small and pointy - they always look kind of creepy to me.
    I think some styles look friendly (ie: handlebar mustaches, make you think of ice cream parlors!) and some styles are always worn by the actor portraying the Devil. What do you think is the intended impact of the small pointy goatee, or others that are unusual?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:24 PM, November 20, 2015  

  • Chin curtain! Hilarious name.
    Friendly mutton chops - that's so much fun, as a style AND as a name!
    If I was a man, I would SO grow something, the funnier the better. I'd probably spend some time with each of the styles. Shaving every day must be tiresome anyway.

    I want you to grow a very big beard, big enough for small birds to nest in. I suppose that might have some drawbacks, but what fun at parties, and for entertaining small children! :) And you can always braid it in different styles if it's getting in your way. :)
    God bless bearded men. They are inherently more trustworthy, like Santa Claus. (ha ha - I know they're not actually ... geez, internet ... it's hard to do nuanced humor. Oh well - someone will get it.)
    xo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:37 PM, November 20, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home