Pure Gonzo Engineering

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Pulling a Stupid Face

Ever crossed the road and looked the wrong way? And hey presto, a car's nearly on you, so what do you do? You freeze. And your life doesn't flash before your eyes, 'cause you're too fucking scared to think – you just freeze, and pull a stupid face.

We lost our hockey game 1-0 tonight. It was disappointing. I had a few good chances, but their goalie was hot. He didn't let any rebounds. I was on the doorstep waiting 4 or 5 times.

I almost died too, well, maybe not died, but broken ribs or who knows what. We were in our defensive zone on the penalty kill. There was a scramble in front of the net and I got pushed down. The puck squirted out to the point. Their defense-man got the puck. I was between him and the net laying on the ice. I see him pull back for a slap shot. This is one of their best players with a hard, hard shot. My instinct is to pull up in the fetal position. My whole body tensed, and I'm pretty sure I pulled a stupid face, like please don't kill me. A second passes and I'm not feeling shooting pain in my ribs, or blood oozing anywhere. He's faked the shot and is handling the puck.

I told him thanks during intermission.

I'm usually a dick on the ice, but I'd like to think I'd do the same. I know I will now, since I was spared.

Check out 1:25



I also love the line "Now we are fucked..."

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • When I was younger a kid on the high school team died that way. He fell, pads shifted just right, puck hit him just right, and done. Pretty messed up.

    By Blogger Nick, at 7:18 PM, February 01, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home