Pure Gonzo Engineering

Monday, July 28, 2008

Doubleheader Sunday

I decided to take on two hockey games in a row yesterday. My buddy Mike was skating a tournament so I skated his C-League game which was right before my B-League game.

The C game was with my old team. I knew several of the dudes. We had a short bench with only 3 subs. I didn’t want to kill myself during this game so I’d be drained for the more difficult skate coming up.

When the game started it was so slow. After playing in four B games and skating with the Bradley players at Rat this was like everything was in slow motion. Whenever I was on the ice, I controlled the flow of the game. I was the guy who I was pissed off at just a year before when teams would have these guys that just demoralized you. I scored one goal and otherwise just passed the puck and tried to conserve energy for game 2. I still made some plays where their bench just moaned because any normal C-league player would flub it or loose the puck.

I am no longer a C-league player.

Game two was against a combination of two of the Winter A-league teams. In the summer there aren’t enough people for an A-league so they just play with all the B teams. It was an ass whipping. I went from one extreme to the other. These guys are all ex-collegiate, ex-junior, ex-playing all your life guys. Quick hands, explosive speed, perfect positioning. Full of class too. They were winning like 9-5 with 1:30 left and they pulled their goalie.

Come one.

Show some fucking class and maturity.

I wasn’t sure if I’d make it through both games. I know that bowflex guy says that you can be 40 and be in the best shape of your life and be in a band, but he was only playing beach volleyball to show off his man tits, not playing hockey against 18 year olds. (Damn you Youtube, I can’t find that commercial!!!) I can’t imagine I have all that many more years of high caliber physical play left in me. In three years I’ll be 30 and it will be all downhill from there.

When I got home I ate a bunch of guacamole and all but two pieces of a stuffed crust frozen pizza. I needed to get back all the calories I burned after 3 hours of ice time. When I went to sleep I kept waking up every couple hours. I could not get cool. My body was just metabolizing and reconstructing and getting warm. I felt pretty good this morning even with the poor sleep and aching muscles.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home